For Dal Faculty and Staff
How to serve your international exchange students better
If you are administering a department- or faculty-specific exchange program, this page will help ensure that your incoming exchange students are admitted properly and receive adequate support services.
Important application deadlines
- February 1: Students coming to Dalhousie in the Summer term.
- May 1: Students coming to Dalhousie in the Fall term (September–December) or the Fall and Winter terms (September–April).
- October 1: Students coming to Dalhousie in the Winter term (January–April).
Step-by-step guidelines for departmental/faculty exchange coordinators
Step 1: Selection
- Students are selected by their home institution, which informs the departmental coordinator of the nominations.
- Once the nominations are approved by the coordinator, students should send him/her an electronic application package including an application form, official transcript(s) and course selection.
Step 2: Dalhousie Approval
- The department/faculty will review the application to determine whether the student is approved to participate in the exchange program.
- If the department/faculty would like to have the student admitted under their program, the coordinator should send an email confirming the student’s nomination to email@example.com. The student’s application and all relevant files should be sent electronically to this email address as well.
Step 3: Admission
- The Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor (Incoming Students) will have the student properly admitted as an exchange student and will ensure that the departmental/faculty coordinator is listed on the acceptance letter as the contact person for their exchange program. The coordinator will receive a copy of the admission letter by email. The original will be sent directly to the student.
- The Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor (Incoming Students) will contact the students once they are admitted to convey important information, invite them to participate in relevant social media, and answer any questions they might have prior to their arrival.
Step 4: Registration
- Once the students have a Banner number, the department/faculty will obtain overrides if necessary and ensure that the student is registered in the courses they have requested.
- The Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor (Incoming Students) will send the students detailed instructions for setting up their email, accessing Dal Online, and registering for classes.
Step 5: Transcripts
The department/faculty will ensure that the students are informed about how to obtain their transcripts, which they will need to provide to their home institution.
For support regarding agreement negotiation and administration, please contact the Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor (Outgoing Students), Amy Braye.
For support regarding services for international exchange students, please contact the Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor (Incoming Students), Gillian MacDonald.