Dal After Dark is a program to provide Dalhousie and King’s students with an opportunity to host programs and events that are substance-free and open to all students.
While some students choose to drink or use substances in university, not everyone does. Dal After Dark hosts and supports student-centred, fun, free and safe events where students won't feel pressure to consume!
Check back for upcoming events!
Grant applications are CLOSED for the Fall 2023 semester. Grant applications will reopen in January 2024.
Students are welcome to borrow programming supplies or equipment for an event, with or without a grant! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the equipment and programming supply inventory list, and more information about how to sign out equipment.
Grant Funding of up to $750 for alternative event programming is available for Dalhousie/King's students and student groups for programs or events that meet the following Dal After Dark guidelines:
- The event will be alcohol and substance-free.
- The event will not promote alcohol consumption, cannabis or illicit substance use in any way.
- The event must be open and free to all Dalhousie/King’s students to attend.
- Closed event applications are welcome and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications must be submitted by Sunday at 4pm (Atlantic Time) four weeks prior to the event/program start date. Applications submitted after this deadline risk not being reviewed until the following week.
Grant Funding will be determined by the Student Health Promotion office. Applications will be reviewed and a response provided no less than two weeks in advance of the event date.
Priority will be given to events hosted during the following time periods:
Fall Term 2023: September 22-29, September 29-October 1, October 27-29
Winter Term 2024: January 11-14, February 1-3, March 15-17
In order to fund as many different societies as possible, we will be limiting Grant Funding to 1 grant per society or student group per semester.
The Grant Application Process
Prior to the event
- Submit Grant Application (at least 4 weeks before event).
- Grant Application is reviewed.
- Following the review: the primary event organizer is contacted with follow up questions regarding the event as well as a meeting invite. Meetings can be virtual or in-person, depending on the applicant’s preference.
- If clarification is needed, the application will be on hold until all concerns are addressed.The time frame of the approval process will depend on the applicants' response time.
- Following Approval: you will be required to meet with a Dal After Dark member to further discuss the event and provide clarification on event funding, promotion, and support.
- If your grant is approved:
- As part of the grant approval email, you will be provided with a grant package that will need to be completed and returned before your event.
- If you prefer not to pay for supplies out of pocket to be reimbursed and require the Dal After Dark team to purchase supplies on your behalf, in advance of the event, those requests need to be included in the grant package.
After the event
- Reimbursement: within 14 days of the event you are required to provide the Dal After Dark team with:
- Any receipts, invoices, or event orders that require reimbursement.
- A completed grant package along with a summary of the event, photos, and sign in sheet.
- Debrief Meeting: a meeting will be set up to provide feedback regarding the event and your experience with Dal After Dark.
- This is also an opportunity to submit any receipts for reimbursement or outstanding invoices to be paid.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the primary event organizer to provide the Dal After Dark team with original receipts and sign in sheets in order to receive reimbursement for the event.
The Dal After Dark team can assist you with any questions prior to the event and provide support for event promotion and organization, however, it is not the responsibility of the Dal After Dark team or Grant Committee to remind you of any outstanding payments/reimbursements.
Funding for a Dal After Dark event is provided through reimbursements or invoice payments.
As a primary event organizer, you are required to provide the Dal After Dark Team with the invoices, event orders, or receipts for which you require funding within 10 days of the event.
Please note that Dal After Dark funding can be provided for the following expenses:
- Printing of Promotional Materials
- Room Bookings
- Professional Services (external)
- Other - on a case by case basis (confirmation required)
Dal After Dark funding will not fund events that provide alcohol, cannabis, or other substances.