Tax & Other Receipts

Below you will discover how to obtain proof of payment (receipts), official receipts for tax purposes, and other important information related to your account.   


Tuition Receipts & Proof of Payment

To print your tuition receipts or proof of payment:

  • Login to Dal Online
  • Select: Web for Students > Student Records > Account Detail by Term
  • Select the appropriate term, then "Submit"
  • You will be directed to a screen displaying your Account Detail by Term. This shows the most current Account Activity and will include all tuition charges and payments received for that term
  • For a printable statement, select “Statement and Payment History” (link at the bottom of the page)
  • In the drop-down list next to "Select Statement Date", choose the appropriate date, then click "View Statement".

T4A - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and other Income


A T4A Slip is an official tax receipt that provides the amount of funds a student has received in scholarships, awards, prizes and waivers for the corresponding tax year. 

Individuals in receipt of applicable funds are required to provide Dalhousie University with their social insurance number. 

Note:  Your T4A will be available in the February following the corresponding tax year. 

To view and print your T4A visit Dal Online and complete the following steps:


  • Select “Web for Student”
  • Select “Canadian Tax Forms”
  • Select “Slips for Income Tax Return"
  • Choose the tax year for the tax slips you wish to view
  • T2202 - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate

    The T2202 tax form is issued to students registered in eligible courses and programs used for filing income taxes. The form contains the amount of eligible tuition and/or fees paid for the tax year and the number of months a student was registered (full-time or part-time).

    If you are a student in the Faculty of Open Learning and Career Development Education , please click here for their FAQ web page for assistance: CCE FAQ web page

    The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that all Canadian post-secondary institutions collect the Social Insurance Number (SIN) for students eligible to receive the T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (formerly T2202A).   To do this:

    Visit DalOnline and find the Social Insurance Number page under your “Personal Information” tab by selecting the “View/Update Biographical Information” option.

    To view and/or print your T2202:


    • Log into Dal Online
    • Select “Web for Student”
    • Select “Canadian Tax Forms”
    • Select “T2202A Tax Credit Form”
    • Select “Tax Year”

    Note: The printable form is your official receipt

    Tuition tax receipts will record both the appropriate fee amount (tuition credit) and the number of months of full-time attendance (education credit).

    Effective taxation year 2001, the T2202A tax receipt will reflect the amount of eligible tuition paid, not the amount charged. Please note that students will not receive a T2202 (T2202A) for outstanding fees. For subsequent payments, revisions may be requested.


    The RL-8 Tax Form for Quebec residents attending Dalhousie University is available through Dal Online. Students who have not provided their QSN (Quebec Permanent Code), will need to do so in order to receive access to their RL-8. Click here for more information:

    To view and/or print your RL-8:

    • Log into Dal Online
    • Select “Web for Student”
    • Select “Canadian Tax Forms”
    • Select “Releve8 Tax Form”
    • Select “Tax Year”

    International Students

    As tax laws vary by country, individual students may be required to fill out their tax forms from the information provided via the T2202, T4A, Account Detail by Term, or other information available to students online via DalOnline.

    If you have questions regarding the forms you may be required to submit to your country’s tax offices, please contact your applicable government office.

    FAQ's about providing Dalhousie with your SIN

    Q.  What is a SIN?

    A.  The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that is needed to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You also need a SIN to file Canadian taxes.

    Q.  Why should I provide my SIN number to Dalhousie University?

    A.  Dalhousie University is required to provide the Canada Revenue Agency with students' Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) on Form T2202 (Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate).   A T2202 is an official income tax receipt issued to all students who paid tuition and fees for qualifying courses that are eligible for claim on the income tax return.  It is your responsibility to ensure that you qualify to claim the tuition tax credit.  Further information on the eligibility of education and textbook amounts can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.

    Q.  How can I provide this information?

    A.  Students can visit DalOnline ( and find the Social Insurance Number page under your “Personal Information” tab by selecting the “View/Update Biographical Information” option.

    Q.  Can I send my SIN via email?

    A.  No, E-mail communications are not secure so please do not send your SIN via email.

    Q. What if I have already provided my SIN?

    A.  If you provided your SIN as a student and the number is considered valid, a message of “Valid Social Insurance Number on file.” will appear in the SIN entry field.  If the value previously collected by Dalhousie University is not a valid code, you will be able to update the data to your correct SIN.

    Q. What happens if I refuse to submit my SIN?

    A.  Your SIN is confidential. You should provide your SIN only when it is legally required. Dalhousie University is now legally required to request the Social Insurance Numbers of students for Canada Revenue Agency purposes in response to a change introduced in 2018 for all designated educational institutions in Canada. 

    Q. Where can I obtain more information on this proposed change?

    A.  CRA provides the latest information on the proposed changes on  Taxpayers should check online regularly for updated forms, policies, guidelines, questions and answers and guidance.  For quick reference, the government has summarized important changes related to the new T2202 information return requirements that resulted from the 2018 Federal Budget which can be found here.

    Q. How will Dalhousie University ensure the security of personal information?

    A.  Dalhousie University restricts access to the SIN stored in our ERP system to only those who require access to perform their job duties.  The collection, use and disclosure of student information is protected under university policies and government legislation.  Our privacy policy arises from the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, legislation, and fair information practices ( 

    More information about authorized federal uses of the SIN can be found here.

    Having trouble accessing Dal Online?

    If you are locked out of your account or need assistance with your account please visit us here.