Top 9 reasons to study Russian at Dalhousie:
- Culture: You can read Tolstoy, Dostoevsky or Chekhov in translation, but knowing the language gives you deeper access to Russia's many cultural treasures.
- Science: Get instant access to 28 per cent of the world’s scientific literature – all published in Russian.
- Business: Western companies need fluent Russian speakers to work in emerging markets in Russia, Eastern Europe and Asia.
- Study in Russia: Attend Saint Petersburg State University with Canada's original Russia exchange program.
- Active student life: We celebrate Russian culture through a Russian choir, an annual Russian Night, poetry readings and guest speakers.
- Close-knit: Students and teachers work together to make challenging subjects fascinating and fun.
- Employment: Business, media and government seek out grads who know Russian. Alumni have worked for the Saint Petersburg Times, the Novosti Press Agency and Canadian Communications Security Establishment.
- History: Teaching Russian since 1944, we are the oldest Russian program in Canada.
- New directions: In 2007, we started to offer Chinese language classes.
What will I learn?
We offer classes in Russian language, literature, history and culture. You'll learn to speak, read and write Russian in congenial classes that combine the latest technology with a personalized approach.
What can I do?
Knowledge of Russian is an asset for any student interested in a career in international business, media, science or government. Several alumni have continued their studies and now work as professors.