» Go to news main
Dr. Mike Smit Awarded NSERC Research Grant
Dr. Mike Smit (SIM Professor) has been awarded an NSERC research grant for his project “Assessing the quality of research data infrastructure software”. More details below. Click here to read the full announcement.
Pushing back and exploring the frontiers of knowledge
A total of 44 Dal researchers are the recipients of over $7.3 million in funding from NSERC’s Discovery Grants and Research Tools and Instruments Grants Programs.
The Discovery Grants (DG) program is NSERC’s largest and longest standing program. By supporting ongoing research programs with long-term goals, Discovery Grants give researchers the flexibility to explore promising avenues of research as they emerge. Recipients are not only making an impact on their field of study, but are specializing in research with the potential to impact the world.
The Research Tools and Instruments (RTI) grants program fosters and enhances the discovery, innovation and training capability of university researchers in the natural sciences and engineering by supporting the purchase of research equipment.
Some of the successful projects include:
Researcher: John Frampton
Project: A bioprinter system for fabricating advanced biomaterials
Researcher: Kimberly Brewer
Project: Development of quantitative multi-contrast molecular imaging
Researcher: Julie LaRoche
Project: Renewal of essential flow cytometry instrumentation for the study of marine microbes
Researcher: Mark Obrovac
Project: New chemistries for metal matrix composites
Researcher: Mike Smit
Project: Assessing the quality of research data infrastructure software
More on NSERC’s Discovery Grant program can be found here.
- MLIS alumna wins 2023 RBC/PEN Canada’s New Voices Award
- Job Postings: Part‑Time Academics (Fall 2023)
- Charlie Hook (MI ’23) on her upcoming PhD Program at the University of Leicester
- Alison Brown Featured in 2023 Dalhousie ‘Open Think’ Initiative
- Job Posting: Part‑Time Academics (Summer 2023)
- MLIS Graduate Chosen as 2023 Black Changemaker
- Dal SIM Appoints Two New Professors Emeriti
- Dr. Colin Conrad on his new role as Interim Director (Master of Digital Innovation)