General Practice Residency
The General Practice Dental Residency program (GPR) offers enhancement of clinical skills for dentists who have an interest in advanced dental care, including working with medically compromised adults and marginalized populations.
This one-year program is unique within Atlantic Canada, and one of only seven in the country. Students gain clinical experience in managing traumatic and non-traumatic acute dental emergencies, and in managing the dental needs of adults with complex medical histories and those with limited access to professional dental care.
- a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree, eligibility for student licensure in Nova Scotia, and a NDEB certificate
- a minimum mid-B average during the student's undergraduate coursework (with a minimum average of A- over the last two years)
- demonstrated ability to communicate and write in English (consistent with the entry requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, e.g. TOEFL >600, or computer-based TOEFL minimum of 250)
- Three letters of reference forms [PDF - 65 kB] should be forwarded by the referees under separate cover. At least one form must be from a university faculty member who has taught the applicant.
- Acceptance into all programs within the Faculty of Dentistry and the School of Dental Hygiene is normally conditional upon receipt of a completed immunization/CPR record [PDF 229 kB].
How to apply
The application deadline is October 1 of the year before the program begins. The application fee is $70.
Applicants must also register with the National Match Program.
Tuition for this program is $100 per term for three terms, for 12 months plus a one-time payment for supplies in the first term. Each resident will be paid a stipend of $36,000 for the program. Three residents per year will be accepted to the program.
Your application form [PDF - 81kb] and all documentation should be mailed to:
Dental Clinical Sciences
Faculty of Dentistry
5981 University Avenue
PO Box 15000
Please direct any admissions enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.