FCS News» Go to news main
Girls talk tech buzzing at Dalhousie
The Women Talk Tech events happen once each semester, each with a different theme.
Leah Brown, fourth year computer science student and President of DalWiTS said the events help break down some of the stigma associated with the tech sector.
“Computer science has a stereotype that the program is going to be filled with geeky boys who don’t talk,” she said. “Educating girls in tech isn’t always talked about that much, and it’s important to draw attention to that because there’s definitely a gap in the number of guys to girls.”
Brown said they picked the theme after choosing the speakers and realizing they’re all involved with teaching women in technology.
The speakers were: Rose Behar - co-founder of CompCamp, Rachel Aaron - lead of Ladies Learning Code Halifax chapter, Tanya Poulton - Program Coordinator with WISE Atlantic and Emily Boucher -Executive Director of CanWIT.
- NS Sandboxes bootcamp fosters creativity, innovation for entrepreneurs
- Congrats to our grads of Spring 2018!
- Computer Science prof recognized for digital leadership
- Dal Alumnae and Students Inspire Girls to Code, From Coast to Coast
- Grad Profile: From Public Relations to Computer Science
- Grad Profile: Tackling Chronic Disease with Technology
- Humanitarian Drive
- Introducing Dal's honorary degree recipients for Spring Convocation 2018