Call for Submissions
Fathom is a great opportunity for students to get their work published for the first time. The journal is distributed to students and faculty at Dal, as well as to members of the Halifax writing community, so it is a great opportunity to showcase their work.
Expect to hear about a call for submissions for the 2019/20 issue in November 2019.
Also, Fathom's editorial team is run entirely by students. So, if you are interested in learning the editing process - become an editor for Fathom! The first editors meeting usually takes place mid-September of every year.
Dalhousie's yearly undergraduate journal of literary criticism, Verso, is usually open for submissions until Febuary of every year. Any paper written for a Dalhousie English course with a mark of B+ or higher is accepted. Contact the editors at email@example.com
Whimperbang is an online journal of artistic commentary, published three times a year, and is accepting submissions for its 18th issue, scheduled to be published in February 2019, and its 19th issue, to be published in June 2019.
Whimperbang invites the submission of serious, directed artistic expressions that reflect
or comment upon today’s world. All literary and visual genres will be considered.
- Simultaneous submissions must be indicated as such in the submission email. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please inform us.
- Unpublished works only.
- New submissions may not be made until you have heard back from us regarding old ones.
- There is no reading/review fee.
- Whimperbang cannot offer payment at this time.
- At the time of publication, all rights revert back to the author. If you decide to republish the piece elsewhere, we ask that you cite whimperbang as a place of previous publication.
- Submissions may be submitted via lightning-fast email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email “Subject” must read “Submission”. Submissions not sent in this format will be refused.
- Submissions may be made either as attachments, or reside within the body of your email (copy & paste).
- Please include a short biographical paragraph with your submissions, including your name and place of residence, email address (for our records), publications and any other relevant information.
- Poetry submissions: may not exceed 5 poems.
- Prose (fiction, non-fiction) submissions: should not exceed 5,000 words.
- Play submissions: should not exceed 5,000 words.
- Visual submissions: (illustrations, drawings, prints, photographs, sketchbooks, etcetera) may not exceed 5 pieces. If submitted as a series, no more than 10 pieces, please. A minimum of three, and maximum of ten, spreads may be submitted from sketchbooks. Please submit images by PNG, JPG or PDF, not exceeding 4 MB total.
- Header submissions: should be sized to 300 x 76 pixels (PNG or JPG) and contain the word “whimperbang” (they are the site identifiers, top left). Headers may employ any media as long as they fit the above criteria. Chosen headers will be placed in random rotation on the whimperbang site.
Please be advised that whimperbang cannot publish all submissions, and must be very discriminating, as it is run by a small crew of volunteers. Please expect 3-5 months for a reply, depending on our work load. If you find errors of any kind, please let us know. We have the option of making changes without burning paper.