- PhD, Community and Regional Planning, University of British Columbia
- MA, Community and Regional Planning, University of British Columbia
- PLAN 1001: Introduction to Community Design
- PLAN 2012: Housing Policy
- PLAN 3115/5115: Social Justice
- PLAN 4500: Thesis Project
- PLAN 6304/6307: Conference Module
Dr. Thomas conducts research in housing policy and transportation policy and planning. She is particularly interested in case studies, which allow her and her students to conduct in-depth analysis of policies and programs, comparisons across policies, and meta-analysis to determine more generalizable trends. Her current research includes:
- “Challenges for Making TOD Equitable in Mid-Sized Cities: Changing Neighbourhoods in Malmö, Sweden, and Kitchener, Canada” (2019-2021, K2 (Nationellt Kunskapcentrum för Kollectivtrafik/Swedish Knowledge Centre for Public Transport), (Co-I with Lina Olsson, 2019-21)
- "Rosengård: values and challenges in the shadow of an urban development process", K2 (Nationellt Kunskapcentrum för Kollectivtrafik/Swedish Knowledge Centre for Public Transport) Grant (P.I. Jonas Alwall, 2019-2021)
- "Transit Oriented Development (TOD) in the early stages of planning processes – improved tools for navigating collaborative complexities and private sector rationalities (International Advisory Committee member, K2 (Nationellt Kunskapcentrum för Kollectivtrafik/Swedish Knowledge Centre for Public Transport) Grant, P.I.s Robert Hrelja, Lina Olsson, 2020-2022)
- "Addressing the Knowledge Gaps in Meeting the Housing Needs of Older LGBT Canadians: From Research to Policy to Practice" (SSHRC Partnership Development Grant – Collaborative Housing Research Network, P.I. Jacqueline Gahagan, 2019-2020)
- "Understanding barriers to affordable housing implementation: A meta-analysis of case studies in Canadian housing policy" (SSHRC Insight Development Grant 2018-2020).
- "Over the line: A bilateral conversation on race, place, and the environment" (SSHRC Connection Grant 2017, P.I. Ingrid Waldron).
- "Neighbourhood inequality, diversity, and change: Trends, processes, consequences, and policy options for Canada’s large metropolitan areas (SSHRC Partnership Grant 2014-2019, P.I. David Hulchanski)
- Redden, M., Gahagan, J., Kia, H., Humble. A. M., Stinchcombe, A., Manning, E., Ecker, J., de Vries, B., Gambold, L. L., Oliver, B., & Thomas, R. (2021). Housing as a determinant of health for older LGBT Canadians: Focus group findings from a national housing study. Housing and Society. https://doi.org/10.1080/08882746.2021.1905996
- Thomas, R. (2020). Will only the strong survive? Municipal approaches to rental housing in Canada. Canadian Journal of Urban Research 29(2): 87-101.
- Thomas, R. (2020). Social equity and disadvantage. In Carey Curtis (ed.) Handbook of Sustainable Transport, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Thomas, R. (2020). Transit-Oriented Development: Learning from International Case Studies. Springer (Palgrave MacMillan).
- Thomas, R. (2019). Rental housing approaches across Canada. Plan Canada 59(3): 16-18.
- Thomas, R. (2019). Transit-Oriented Development: What can Canadian planners learn from others? Plan Canada 59(2): 19-21.
- Thomas, R., Pojani, D., Lenferink, S., Bertolini, L., Stead, D. and van der Krabben, E. (2018) Is transit-oriented development (TOD) an internationally transferable policy concept? Regional Studies. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00343404.2018.1428740
- Thomas, R. and Terashima, M. (2017). Aging Atlantic cities: Challenges and potential solutions for planners. Plan Canada 57(3): 8-11.
- Thomas, R. (2017) The Urban Transport Crisis in Emerging Economies (book review). Journal of Planning Education and Research. DOI: 10.1177/0739456X17707812
- Thomas, R. (2017) Town and Crown: An Illustrated History of Canada’s Capital (book review). Journal of Planning Education and Research. DOI 10.1177/0739456X16688769
- Thomas, R. (ed.) (2016) Planning Canada: A Case Study Approach. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press.
- Thomas, R. and Bertolini, L. (2015) Policy transfer among planners in transit-oriented development. Town Planning Review 86(5) 537–560. DOI: 10.3828/tpr.2015.32
- Thomas, R. and Bertolini, L. (2015) Defining critical success factors in TOD implementation using rough set analysis. Journal of Transport and Land Use. DOI: 10.5198/jtlu.2015.513
- Thomas, R. (2015) Changing Lanes: Visions and Histories of Urban Freeways (book review). Canadian Journal of Urban Research 24(1).
- Thomas, R. (2015) Remaking the City Grid (book review). Spacing 36: 60.
- Thomas, R. and Bertolini, L. (2014) Beyond the case study dilemma in urban planning: Using a meta-matrix to distil critical success factors in transit-oriented development. Urban Policy and Research 32(2): 219-237. DOI: 10.1080/08111146.2014.882256
- Thomas, R. (2014) Tipping Points. In A. C. Michalos (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research, Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer. Volume 11, 6667-6670.
- Thomas, R. (2013) Viewing immigrants’ housing and neighbourhood choices through the lens of community resilience. Surveys and Perspectives Integrating Environment and Society (S.A.P.I.E.N.S.) 6(1).
- Thomas, R. (2013) Resilience and housing choices among Filipino immigrants in Toronto. International Journal of Housing Policy 13(4): 408-432. DOI: 10.1080/14616718.2013.840112
- Thomas, R. (2013) Human Transit: How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives (book review). Journal of Planning Education and Research 33(2): 245-247.
- Thomas, R. (2011) Foundations of Governance: Municipal Government in Canada’s Provinces (book review). Canadian Journal of Urban Research 20(1): 164-166.
- Thomas, R. (2010) “Why can’t we get around?” Travelling under constraints in Metro Vancouver. Canadian Journal of Urban Research 19(1): 89-110.
- Thomas, R. (2009) Tomorrow’s transportation demographics: Youth and young adults. Plan Canada 49(4): 22-25.
- Thomas, R. (2008) Engaged or disinterested? Youth political and civic participation in Canadian transportation planning. Critical Planning 15(1): 121-139.
Memberships and Service
- Co-Chair, Nova Scotia Affordable Housing Commission (Dec 2020-May 2021)
- Member, Canadian Institute of Planners
- Academic Director, Canadian Institute of Planners Board of Directors (2020-2022)
- Member, Planning Institute of British Columbia
- Founding Fellow, MacEachen Institute of Public Policy and Governance Member, Standing Committee on Transport and Land Development, Transportation Research Board (2019-2021)
- Reviewer, Journal of Transport and Land Use (2013-present), Canadian Geographer (2012-present), Canadian Journal of Urban Research (2011-present)
Selected Honours and Awards
- Centre for Teaching and Learning Change One Thing Challenge, 2017 Recipient
- Canadian Institute of Planners Award of Merit (2017, Planning Publications) for Planning Canada: A Case Study Approach