Assistant Professor, Food Bioscience
· Ph.D., Food Science and Technology, University of Alberta, 2017
· MEng, Cereals, Oils and Vegetable Protein Engineering, Jiangnan University, 2008
· BEng, Food Science and Engineering, Harbin University of Commerce, 2006
Research vision and interests:
Dr. Sun’s research aims to apply innovative processing technologies for improvement of health benefits, nutritional quality, and functionality of food proteins, to add value to by-products from food, agriculture, and aquaculture, to develop new protein-based food products with healthy, sustainable, and sensory attributes, and to understand their underlying fundamental mechanisms.
Primary research interests include:
· Effects of food processing on the physicochemical, functional, nutritional, biological, structural, and sensory properties of food proteins
· Identification of novel food-derived bioactive peptides and elucidation of the underlying mechanism
· Modification of plant-based proteins for enhanced functionality by physical, chemical, and enzymatic approaches
· Development of novel plant-based food products as alternative protein sources
· Designing novel food macromolecule-based nanocarriers for encapsulation, protection, sustained release, and site-specific delivery of bioactive compounds
Selected Publications (‘*’ denotes the corresponding author):
1. Sun, X.H.*, Zhang, S.Y., Ren, J., and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2022) Sialic acid-based strategies for the prevention and treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: Emerging trends in food industry. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 62(7):1713-1724.
2. Sun, X.H.*, Abioye, R.O., Okagu, O., and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2022) Peptide-mucin binding and biosimilar mucus-permeating properties. Gels, 8(1):1.
3. Sun, X.H.#, Sarteshnizi, R.A.#, and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2022). Recent advances in protein-polyphenol interactions focusing on structural properties related to antioxidant activities. Current Opinion in Food Science, 45: 100840.
4. Sun, X.H., Acquah, C., Gazme, B., Boachie, R.T., Nwachukwu, I.D., and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2021) Mechanisms of plastein formation influence the IgE-binding activity of egg white protein hydrolysates after simulated static digestion. Food Chemistry, 345: 128783.
5. Ren, J., Li, S.J., Song, C.L.*, Sun, X.H.*, and Liu, X.L. (2021) Black soybean-derived peptides exerted protective effect against alcohol-induced liver injury in mice. Journal of Functional Foods, 87: 104828.
6. Sun, X.H.*, Zhang, S.Y., Udenigwe, C.C., Ren, J., Li, S.N., Wang, H., and Liu, X.L.* (2020) Wheat germ-derived peptides exert anti-adhesive activity against Helicobacter pylori: Insights into structural characteristics of identified peptides. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 68: 11954-11974. (Featured as the Supplementary Journal Cover)
7. Sun, X.H., Sarteshnizi, R.A., Boachie, R.T., Okagu, O.D., Abioye, R., Neves, R.P., Ohanenye, I.C., and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2020) Peptide-mineral complexes: Understanding their chemical interactions, bioavailability, and potential application in mitigating micronutrient deficiency. Foods, 9: 1402.
8. Sun, X.H., Ohanenye, I. C., Ahmed, T., and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2020) Microwave treatment increased protein digestibility of pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) flour: Elucidation of underlying mechanisms. Food Chemistry, 127196.
9. Sun, X.H. and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2020) Chemistry and biofunctional significance of bioactive peptide interactions with food and gut components. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 68 (46): 12972-12977.
10. Sun, X.H., Acquah, C., Aluko, R., and Udenigwe, C.C.* (2020) Considering food matrix and gastrointestinal effects in enhancing bioactive peptide absorption and bioavailability. Journal of Functional Foods, 64: 103680
11. Sun, X.H.* and Nandika, B. (2019) Applications of reverse micelle technique in food science: A comprehensive review. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 91: 106-115.
12. Sun, X.H., Gänzle, M., and Wu, J.P.* (2019) Glycopeptides from egg white ovomucin inhibit K88ac enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli adhesion to porcine small intestinal epithelial cell-line. Journal of Functional Foods, 54: 320-328.
13. Sun, X.H., Huang, J., Zeng, H.B.*, and Wu, J.P.* (2018) Protein-resistant property of egg white ovomucin under different pHs and ionic strengths. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 66: 11034-11042.
14. Sun, X.H. and Wu, J.P.* (2017) Food derived anti-adhesive components against bacterial adhesion: Current progresses and future perspectives. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 69: 148-156.
15. Sun, X.H., Gänzle, M., and Wu, J.P.* (2017) Identification and characterization of glycopeptides from egg protein ovomucin with anti-agglutinating activity against porcine K88 enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli strains. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 65: 777-783.
A full publication record is available on google scholar or researchgate.
CHMA 3011 - Fundamentals of Food Chemistry (Fall 2022)
·2019 NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship
· 2021 Postdoctoral Fellowship in Nutrition and Mental Health, University of Ottawa
Memberships and Affiliations
· Member of American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS)
· Member of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
· Member of Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology (CIFST)