Dr J Clifford McIsaac
The 1996 Distinguished Alumnus Award was presented to Dr. J. Clifford McIsaac DVM .
Dr. McIsaac was born in Prince Edward Island, August 30, 1930. He received his diploma from the Nova Scotia Agricultural College in 1950 and his DVM from the Ontario Veterinary College in 1955.
Business and Professional Career:
Dr. McIsaac owned and operated Unity Veterinary Clinic, in Unity, Saskatchewan from 1955 to 1964. During those years, he also established a commercial beef farming operation and a mobile feed milling company. From 1971 to 1980, he owned and operated Northwest Veterinary Clinic, North Battleford, Sask., a mixed practice with veterinary supplies. This was the first large animal clinic in Saskatchewan - a concept which has now spread across the Prairies. From 1972 - 1980 he operated Marcliff Ventures, a herd management consulting company.
In 1964, Dr. McIsaac was elected to the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Saskatchewan and was reelected in 1967 and 1971. He served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture; Minister-in-Charge, Public Service Commission, Saskatchewan Transport Co. and the Saskatchewan Research Council; Minister of Education and Minister of Municipal Affairs.
In 1974, Dr. McIsaac was elected Member of Parliament, Government of Canada for the Battleford-Kindersley riding. He served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Transport and the department of regional and economic expansion and chaired the committee on Regional and Economic Expansion. He also served as member of the House of Commons Standing Committees on Agriculture, Transport, Regional Economic Expansion and Management and Member Services. He also served as Chief Government Whip.
From 1981- 1991 he served as a member of the Canadian Dairy Commission. From 1991- 1996, he served as Chairman of the National Farm Products Marketing Council.
Dr. McIsaac served as member of school boards in Saskatchewan; a member of the Saskatchewan School Trustees Association; active on the committee which led to the establishment of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine; member of a wide range of cattle and farm organizations and veterinary medical associations, provincial and national.