An opportunity for leadership
There are opportunities for Faculty of Agriculture alumni to volunteer with chapters or branches of the alumni association even in geographic areas without formal branches.
Distant alumni contacts
The development office is currently working to build a system of Distant Alumni Contacts (DACs) throughout Canada. These contacts would provide support to the Faculty of Agriculture in a variety of capacities in their area. DACs can assist in planning and hosting events in their area when faculty staff will be in the area or for more regular, informal alumni gatherings.
Purpose of volunteer position
Faculty of Agriculture officials travel to dozens of locations where our alumni reside. Often there isn't an active geographic alumni branch. Having a Faculty of Agriculture graduate pre-identified in these areas to help out can be an advantage to other local alumni, faculty officials and the volunteers themselves.
Opportunities and responsibilities would vary by location and may change from time to time depending on the activity level in the area and the interests and abilities of the volunteer. A Distant Alumni Contact's roles may include any or all of the following:
- Acting as a liaison with the Development Office and the Faculty
- Assisting in the planning and execution of any local alumni events with the assistance of Alumni Office staff
- Facilitating access to resources, information and advice not readily available to people outside that area such as scouting potential event locations, providing advice on travel or accommodation to faculty officials
- Acting as a resource and point of contact for alumni who are new to the area
- Helping to 'find' lost alumni in the area and relaying updated address information to the faculty
- Providing a link to local opinion leaders
- Acting as a point of contact for potential incoming Faculty of Agriculture students
- Identifying and helping to recruit outstanding scholars and athletes
- Managing informal communication with other alumni in the area
- Coordinating informal gatherings for alumni living in the area
As a volunteer you get:
- opportunities to meet and communicate with fellow alumni and traveling faculty officials
- to be better informed of faculty news and issues
- to participate in the normal volunteer recognition activities of the association
Time commitments will vary depending on the roles adopted and the level of activity in the area.
Become a volunteer
If you are interested in becoming a Distant Alumni Contact, please contact the Faculty of Agriculture Alumni Office.