All users of chemicals and other hazardous materials at the University must be familiar with the hazards associated with the chemicals they use, as well as the precautions and procedures for working safely with them.
General requirements for work with chemicals and other hazardous materials include, but are not limited to:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) 2015 training for those who work with chemcials and other hazardous materials.
- Current safety data sheets (SDSs) that are readily available to users.
- Proper labelling, storage, and handling of hazardous materials (including waste).
- Proper engineering controls such as general ventilation and local exhaust systems (e.g. fume hoods).
- Use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Proper procedures and equipment for chemical spills.
For more information regarding chemical and lab safety, please log in to our myDal site.