All users of chemicals and other hazardous materials at the University must be familiar with the hazards associated with the chemicals they use, as well as the precautions and procedures for working safely with them.
Guidelines for safe work practices can be found in the Chemical Laboratory Safety Manual [PDF - 832 KB].
General requirements for work with chemicals and other hazardous materials include, but are not limited to:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training for those who work with chemcials and other hazardous materials
- Current safety data sheets (SDSs) that are readily available to users
- Proper labelling, storage, and handling of hazardous materials (including wastes)
- Proper engineering controls such as general ventilation and local exhaust systems (e.g. fume hoods)
- Use of appropriate personal protective equipment
- Proper procedures and equipment for chemical spills