The Environmental Health and Safety Office functions within the portfolio of the Vice President of Finance, and Administration to support Dalhousie University's Environmental Health and Safety Program and operates to:
- Offer advice to the University's Senior Management on ways in which the University can strengthen its efforts to provide a healthy and safe environment in support of the entire range of University activities;
- Support the activities of the University's Environmental Health and Safety Committee;
- Support the Deans, Directors, and Chairs of Departments as they discharge their responsibilities for health and safety within their units;
- Liaise with regulatory agencies and their organizations to keep the University informed of developments that could impact the Environmental Health and Safety Program;
Ensure inspections, testing, and training are carried out as needed to ensure the university is operating in accord with legislation;
- Coordinate the disposal of hazardous waste created by teaching and research programs, and by the University's operations; and
- Provide support services for biosafety, chemical safety, environmental protection (hazardous materials), ergonomic assessments, fire safety, life safety, radiation protection, and occupational safety.