Opt Out

Are you eligible to opt out of the UPass?

You may be eligible to opt out of the UPass in the following circumstances (deadlines apply):

Circumstance Documentation required
Your academic program requires that you be outside of the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) for at least 8 consecutive weeks in a semester. Email from your department or faculty confirming where you will be and the dates of your studies, work or research.
You use the Access-a-Bus service or have a CNIB pass. Proof of registration with Access-a-Bus, a copy of your CNIB pass, or an email from your advisor at Advising and Access Services.
You live in an area not served by Halifax Transit (including distance education students). Proof of residence. Examples include a utility bill, lease or mortgage, or home or tenants insurance for your residence. The documentation must be in your name.
You have a medical concern that prevents you from taking transit. Letter from your physician or an email from Advising and Access Services.
You dropped to part-time status. No documentation required. Drop the applicable classes through DalOnline.
You withdrew from the university. No documentation required. Drop your classes through DalOnline.

Note: This opt out is only for students arriving at Dalhousie for the Winter 2023 semester who did NOT have a UPass in the Fall semester. The deadline for the full 2022/23 UPass has passed.

You can NOT opt out of the UPass if:

  • you choose to drive, bike or walk to campus
  • you live on or near campus
  • your schedule doesn’t allow you to take the bus
  • Summer UPass only: you have picked up your UPass but have not received a complete refund of your full-time fees. There is no grace period for opting out once you have picked up your summer UPass if you initiallly opted in as a student on a placement, clinical, or co-op. Contact the UPass Administration Office if you need to opt out of the summer UPass under extraordinary circumstances. 

How to opt out

  1. Submit the online waiver request form
  2. Email your supporting documentation to upass@dal.ca (if required)
  3. Return your UPass sticker to the DalCard Office (if you have picked it up). UPass stickers MUST be returned for your waiver to be processed, even if you have already left the province/country.