Are you eligible to opt out of the UPass?
You may be eligible to opt out of the UPass in the following circumstances (deadlines apply):
|You will not be attending any Dalhousie University campus for the purpose of studies for the Fall 2020/Winter 2021 semesters, as a result of Dalhousie University’s response to the global pandemic of the virus causing COVID-19. You understand that if you do return to Halifax to attend classes on campus for the Winter 2021 semester, you will be required to notify the DalCard office and obtain a UPass for the Winter semester.||No documentation required.|
|Your academic program requires that you be outside of the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) for at least 8 consecutive weeks in a semester.||Email from your department or faculty confirming where you will be and the dates of your studies, work or research.|
|You use the Access-a-Bus service or have a CNIB pass.||Proof of registration with Access-a-Bus, a copy of your CNIB pass, or an email from your advisor at Advising and Access Services.|
|You live in an area not served by Halifax Transit (including distance education students).||Proof of residence. Examples include a utility bill, lease or mortgage, or home or tenants insurance for your residence. The documentation must be in your name.|
|You have a medical concern that prevents you from taking transit.||Letter from your physician or an email from Advising and Access Services.|
|You dropped to part-time status.||No documentation required. Drop the applicable classes through DalOnline.|
|You withdrew from the university.||No documentation required. Drop your classes through DalOnline.|
You can NOT opt out of the UPass if:
- you choose to drive, bike or walk to campus
- you live on or near campus
- your schedule doesn’t allow you to take the bus
- Summer UPass only: you have picked up your UPass but have not received a complete refund of your full-time fees. There is no grace period for opting out once you have picked up your summer UPass if you initiallly opted in as a student on a placement, clinical, or co-op. Contact the UPass Administration Office if you need to opt out of the summer UPass under extraordinary circumstances.
How to opt out
- Submit the online waiver request form
- Email your supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org (if required)
- Return your UPass sticker to the DalCard Office (if you have picked it up). UPass stickers MUST be returned for your waiver to be processed, even if you have already left the province/country.
NOTE: Once you have opted out, you will be removed from the UPass program for the entire academic year. If you are opting out of the program for the Fall but will be returning to Halifax in January 2021 as a full-time student and require a UPass, you will need to notify the UPass office to obtain your Winter UPass. More information on how to obtain your UPass for the winter semester will come soon.
*If you are opting out of both the summer and fall/winter UPasses, submit two separate waiver forms.