Top 10 reasons to choose Religious Studies at Dal:
- Acquire a more thorough understanding of a wide range of social, political, and economic events and cultural conflicts.
- Explore your curiosity about the nature of religion in an interdisciplinary framework that can include history, philosophy, gender and women’s studies, sociology and social anthropology, art and architecture, and psychology.
- Develop a variety of skills—such as critical thinking and cross-cultural understanding—that will help you in many professional fields.
- Discover how people in different ages and cultures all around the world have confronted the challenges of life—and death—by finding purpose and meaning through religion.
- Gain insight into the world’s artistic achievements—from Islamic non-figurative art and Buddhist statues to films.
- Learn more about your own religious background or practices—and perhaps find your beliefs strengthened.
- Find out how religious scholars and thinkers, including Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, Muhammad, Zoroaster, and others, contributed to world religion—and affected how people see their places in the world.
- Gain knowledge of faith traditions other than your own—crucial in our increasingly globalized world.
- Explore the reasons why religion creates and binds communities together, while sometimes creating conflict between groups, communities, and even individuals.
- Understand how different cultures and groups think, act, and live by examining and interpreting various religious rituals.