Top 8 reasons to study Philosophy at Dalhousie:
- Access: Senior professors often teach junior courses, and class sizes are small compared to other major universities.
- Excellence: Faculty are evaluated very highly by students and frequently win top teaching awards.
- Community: Professors and students from all over the world present and discuss theories in our our stimulating weekly Colloquia.
- Undergraduate Society: Our students put on undergraduate talks, host weekly informal gatherings for intellectual discussion, and edit an undergraduate philosophy journal, Corvus.
- Active research: Our faculty win grants and publish regularly in major journals. Research affiliated with the department accounts for 20% of presentations at Canadian Philosophical Association annual meetings.
- Comprehensive: Program curriculum covers traditional areas of philosophy, like Ethics, Epistemology and Logic, and newer fields of inquiry like Feminism, Biomedical Ethics and Philosophy of Race.
- Well-connected: We help place students who wish to do graduate work in the best Philosophy graduate programs in the world.
- Brain power: Philosophy students rate highly on LSAT, GRE and MCAT examinations—at the same level as physics or engineering students.