Free public screening with expert-led panel discussion afterwards.
Monday, November 28, 2016 (7:00PM)
QEII Royal Bank Theatre, Halifax Infirmary, Ground Floor, 1796 Summer St. entrance
Synopsis: In the not-too-distant future, a less-than-perfect man wants to travel to the stars. Society has categorized Vincent Freeman as less than suitable given his genetic make-up and he has become one of the underclass of humans that are only useful for menial jobs. To move ahead, he assumes the identity of Jerome Morrow, a perfect genetic specimen who is a paraplegic as a result of a car accident. With professional advice, Vincent learns to deceive DNA and urine sample testing. Just when he is finally scheduled for a space mission, his program director is killed and the police begin an investigation, jeopardizing his secret. - Posted from IMDB and written by garykmcd
Topics for discussion:
- Genetic testing and screening procedures
- CRISPR technologies and gene editing
- Germline genetic modification & eugenics
- Genetic enhancement
- Public health, disease control and prevention
- Social justice and slow science
Moderator: Tim Krahn
- Françoise Baylis (Bioethicist, Novel Tech Ethics, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University).
- Jason Haslam (Sci-Fi Expert, Department of English, Dalhousie University). Personal website.
- Paola Marignani (Scientist, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University). Lab homepage.
- Successful Court Challenge of Health Canada Promises to Open Access to Clinical Trial Data
- Appointment to Canada's Patented Medicine Prices Review Board
- Reviving the FDA's Authority to Publicly Explain Why New Drug Applications Are Approved or Rejected
- Dal Bioethicist Urges Academics to Stimulate Debate on Hot Button Topics
- The Responsibilities of Scholars in Public Debate: Challenging Intuitive Ethical Considerations
- Academics & Legal Experts Oppose Decriminalization of Payment for Surrogacy, Eggs, and Sperm
- FACT SHEET: Proposed Changes to the Assisted Human Reproduction Act, 29 May 2018