We have compiled a list of vaulable resources on sustainability and environmental health. These include reports, as well as a collection of useful websites.
2010 - 2014
January 2014: Canadian Environmental Health Atlas. The purpose of this Atlas is to illustrate the myriad of ways the environment affects our health.
February 2013: State of the Science of Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals - 2012 [PDF - 11708kB]. An assessment of the state of the science of endocrine disruptors prepared by experts for the United Nations Environment Programme.
January 2013: America's Children and the Environment [PDF - 21342 kB]. An EPA report that presents key information on environmental stressors that can affect children's health.
September 2012: Ecohealth and Watersheds: Watersheds as settings for health and wellbeing in Canada [PDF - 1118kB]. A report by Karen Morrison and colleagues exploring the connections between watershed governance and human health.
August 2012: The Cost-Effectiveness of Environmental Approaches to Disease Prevention [PDF - 298kB]. A peer-reviewed article by Dave Chokshi and Thomas Farley, published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
July 2012: Exploring the Links between Early Environmental Exposures and Chronic Disease: Implications for Public Health Policy and Practice [PDF - 477kB]. Workshop Report. Canadian Partnership for Children's Health and Environment.
April 2012: State of the Planet Declaration. Key messages from the proceedings of the Planet Under Pressure conference [PDF - 682kB]. Authored by Drs. Lidia Brito and Mark Stafford and supported by the conference Scientific Organizing Committee.
March 2012: Hormones and Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals: Low-Dose Effects and Nonmonotonic Dose Responses [PDF - 727kB]. A landmark peer-reviewed article by Laura Vandenberg and others, published in Endcrine Reviews.
November 2011: Waterborne Disease Outbreaks in Canadian Small Drinking Water Systems [PDF - 416kB]. National Collaborating Centres for Public Health.
June 2011: Environmental Sensitivities - Multiple Chemical Sensitivities Status Report [PDF - 290kB]. Environmental Health Clinic, Women's College Hospital.
May 2011: Reducing the Staggering Costs of Environmental Disease In Children, Estimated at $76.6 Billion in 2008 [PDF - 365kB]. A peer-reviewed article by Leonardo Trasande and Yinghua Liu, published in Health Affairs.
July 2010: Oil Sands Development Contributes Elements Toxic at Low Concentrations [PDF - 554].
2005 - 2009
August 2008: Human Health in a Changing Climate: A Canadian Assessment of Vulnerabilities and Adaptive Capacity [PDF - 6297kB]. Health Canada.
September 2007: Prescription for a Healthy Canada: Towards a National Environmental Health Strategy [PDF - 12112kB]. David Suzuki Foundation.
July 2007: Principles for Evaluating Health Risks in Children Associated with Exposure to Chemicals [PDF - 3278kB]. World Health Organization.
- Atlantic Path
- Canadian Community of Practice in Ecosystem Approaches to Health
- Canadian Environmental Atlas
- Centre for Environmental Health Equity
- Centre for the Environment (U of T)
- College of Sustainability (Dalhousie Univ)
- Community Based Environmental Monitoring Network
- Concordia College (Univ. of Alberta) Environmental Health
- Environmental Information: Use and Influence (EIUI)
- Global Ecological Integrity Group
- Health Geomatics Laboratory
- International Association for Ecology and Health
- International Federation of Environmental Health
- International Society for Children's Health and the Environment (ISCHE)
- McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment
- McMaster Institute of Environment & Health
- National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Centre
- School of Population and Public Health (UBC)
- Science Atlantic
- Spatial Intelligence for Health Knowledge Laboratory (SILK-LAB)
- Sustainability Research Centre
- The International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
- The Polis Project (UVic)
- UNU Institute for Water, Environment, & Health
- Canadian Council on Social Determinants of Health
- Canadian Institute For Health Information
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- CCME - Canadian Council of Ministers of Environmental (Health)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Health Canada
- International Development Research Agency
- National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health
- National Water Research Institute
- Nova Scotia Department of Environment
- Integrated Chronic Care Service (formerly Nova Scotia Environmental Health Centre)
- The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- World Health Organization - Health and Environment Linkages
- Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment
- Canadian Centre for Environmental Health
- Canadian Commission for UNESCO
- Canadian Institute of Child Health
- Canadian Network for Human Health and the Environment
- Canadian Partnership for Children's Health and Environment
- Cancer Prevention and Education Society
- Centre for Science and Environment
- Children & Nature Network
- Children's Health & Environment Partnership
- Clean Nova Scotia
- CPHA - Frontline Health Beyond Health Care
- Cumulative Impacts Project
- David Suzuki Foundation
- Ecology Action Centre
- Environmental Defence
- Environmental Health Association of Nova Scotia
- Environmental Health Association of Ontario
- Environmental Health Foundation of Canada
- Environmental Health Institute of Canada
- Environmental Working Group
- Geomatics Associations of Nova Scotia
- Global Green and Health Hospitals Network
- GPI Atlantic
- H2O Info - The Water Information Network
- Health and Environment Atlas
- Health Care Without Harm
- Healthy Child Healthy World
- ICLEI Canada
- International Chemical Secretariat
- International Institute for Sustainable Development
- National Environmental Education Foundation
- Nova Scotia Environmental Network
- Ontario College of Physicians - Environmental Health Committee
- Pembina Institute
- Physicians for Global Survival
- Pollination Project
- Pollution Probe
- Pollution Watch
- Second Look
- Sierra Club
- The Centre for Rural Sustainability
- The Collaborative on Health and Environment
- The Council of Canadians
- The Earth Charter Initiative
- The Green Interview
- The Natural Step Canada
- The Sandbox Project
- World Wildlife Fund Canada
- Bulletin of the World Health Organization
- Environment and Pollution
- Environment, Development and Sustainability
- Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development
- Environmental Health Perspectives
- Environmental Research
- Global Environment
- International Journal of Environmental Research anf Public Health
- International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment
- PLOS ONE
- Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health