Major in Finance
Our Major in Finance has been accepted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree program(s) incorporate at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), which provide students with a solid grounding in the CBOK and positions them well to sit for the CFA exams.
An average of B- between COMM 2202 (Finance I) and COMM 2203 (Finance II) is required in order to major in Finance.
In addition to the core courses, students must complete the following three courses:
- COMM 3203.03 - Financial Institutions
- COMM 3206.03 - Portfolio and Money Management
- COMM 4240.03 - Advanced Corporate Finance
Plus three of:
- COMM 3207.03 - Canadian Securities
- COMM 4201.03 - International Financial Management
- COMM 4202.03 - Derivatives
- COMM 4250.03 - Theory of Finance
- COMM 3100.03 - Financial Accounting and Statement Analysis or COMM 3105.03 Intermediate Financial Accounting I or COMM 4340.03 Corporate Governance or ECON 2200.03** Intermediate Microeconomics or ECON 2201.03** Intermediate Macroeconomics
**Courses outside Commerce, such as Economics, are counted as Non-Commerce or Free electives.
Career options for Finance majors
A major in finance can lead to a multitude of careers paths that are both satisfying and lucrative. Below are some fields you may consider.
- commercial banking
- corporate finance
- financial planning
- investment banking
- money management
- financial analyst
- real estate