Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4R2
- social role of architecture
- urban revitalization
- architecture and landscape
- productive urban landscapes
- computation in architecture
- innovative building processes
- materials research
- responsive environments
- public interest design
- architectural experience and perception
- BES, University of Manitoba
- AADipl, Architectural Association
Current Teaching (2022–23)
- ARCH 3207: Building Technology
- ARCH 4003: Design
- ARCH 4004/6002: Free Lab
- ARCH 5212: From Principle to Detail
- ARCH 5299: Technology Seminar
- ARCH 5308: Professional Practice: Co-op Work Term
Research / Practice Interests
Prof. Lilley studies ecological, programmatic, and artistic strategies influencing design. His built projects advocate health and well-being of communities through capacity-building, especially through robust facade and garden design. He is involved in cross-disciplinary research into ceramic materials, as well as augmented environments such as computational representation of interior climate and networked knowledge-enhanced forms of circulation.
- Lilley, Brian, Roland Hudson, Kevin Plucknett, and Rory Macdonald. 2012. "Ceramic Perspiration: Multi-scalar Development of Ceramic Material." ACADIA conference proceedings.
- Description of Pictou Landing Health Centre. 2013. In Hospital Architecture, ed. Christine Nicki-Weller and Hans Nickl. Salenstein, Switzerland: Braun.
- Lilley, Brian, and Philip Beesley, ed. 2007. Expanding Bodies: Art, Cities, Environment. ACADIA conference proceedings.
- Sauerbruch Hutton Architects. 2000. GSW Headquarters Berlin. Baden: Lars Müller.
- Description of drawing technique of Brian Lilley and Arthur Collin. 1992. In Picturing Architecture: Graphic Presentation Techniques in Australian Architectural Practice, ed. Desley Luscombe and Anne Pedan. Roseville, Australia: Craftsman House.
Selected Built Works
- North End Community Garden, Halifax (Dalhousie University School of Architecture Free Labs)
- Pictou Landing Health Centre, Pictou Landing, Nova Scotia (with Richard Kroeker / Piskwepaq Design Inc.)
- Casa Olea, Madrid
- GSW Headquarters, Berlin (with Sauerbruch Hutton Architects)
- Kalastchi House, Ascott, England (with Giles Prince)
Selected Honours and Awards
- Cluster leader for Transgranular Perspiration, Smart Geometry conference, Troy, NY (2012)
- Maritime Regional Coordinator for "Migrating Landscapes," Canadian entry for the Venice Biennale (2012)
- Chicago Atheneum International Architecture Award (2010): for Pictou Landing Health Centre (with Richard Kroeker / Piskwepaq Design Inc.)
- Architekturpreis BDA Berlin (2000); Deutscher Fassadenpreis VHF (2001), Bauphysikpreis; Benedictus Award (2003): for GSW Headquarters, Berlin (with Sauerbruch Hutton Architects)
Scholarly or Professional Memberships
- Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA)
- Smart Geometry
- Canada Green Building Council
- Institute for Research in Materials, Dalhousie University
Current Service Activities
- contributor to the North End Community Garden greenhouse project and the North End Health Clinic, Halifax
- advisor to the William King Elementary School outdoor amphitheatre project, Herring Cove, NS
- contributor to the Urban Roots community garden project, Halifax