Funding, News and Announcements» Go to news main
MHRC‑Mitacs Summer 2023 Indigenous Mental Health Internships
MHRC is proud to partner with the Mitacs on this funding opportunity for Indigenous university students across the country to work with their academic supervisor and partner with a local service provider or Indigenous community organization.
The successful applicant will be awarded $15,000 for a four- or six-month term; funds will be paid directly to the student’s academic institution and held by the student’s supervisor. The project would begin in May 2023.
This jointly funded Indigenous internship is part of MHRC’s 2022-2023 Studentship cycle, where students share their time between academic institutions and community service providers, tying together their research with the needs of the end-users — the community and people with lived experience. MHRC aims to drive systemic change by encouraging the adoption of effective, research-informed, and client-centric approaches to mental health treatment.
Eligibility and Focus of Research:
Eligible students must:
- Identify as First Nations, Inuit or Metis
- Be enrolled in a Undergraduate, Masters, College or PhD program at an accredited Canadian University or College, with a background in psychology or related field/discipline AND;
- Be seeking to conduct a research project within the theme of Indigenous mental health
In line with the Mitacs Indigenous Research Policy, all projects must have clear potential for impact on the relevant community, and therefore must partner with a community service provider and integrate the insights of people with lived experience into each stage of their project. Proposals must collaborate directly with Indigenous communities to develop their projects.
Application Process & Deadline:
Please carefully read the attached Call for Applications for complete application requirements, consisting of three key components:
- A detailed description of your proposed research
- Letters of support from your academic supervisor, your partner organization and the Indigenous community of interest
- Financial Clarifications
Submit your application using MHRC’s Studentship Proposal Template.
Submit your application by no later than midnight EST on November 30, 2022!
Two Stage application process:
- Deadline for EOI to MHRC: November 30, 2022
- If successful: full Mitacs Accelerate proposal due January 20, 2023
- Projects must start by May 31, 2023