Please note that we are not currently hiring for any positions
FRONT OF HOUSE
Front of House employees are the front line for customer service to patrons for the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium and include ushers, bartenders, coat check, candy cart, and merchandise staff. All Front of House employees report to and are under the direction of the House Manager.
- Greet and assist patrons of the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium.
- Check/Rip tickets
- Aid patrons in finding their seats and assist with any seating discrepancies.
- Distribute event/show programs.
- Assist patrons with disabilities (wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, etc) as needed.
- Distribute and educate patrons on the usage of assistive listening devices.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all emergency policies and procedures.
- Enforce venue policies to ensure every patron receives the best entertainment experience.
- Monitor and enforce crowd control as needed.
- Address customer requests for assistance or complaints.
Bartenders, Candy Cart & Coat Check Staff
- Provide refreshment service to patrons of the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium utilizing a cash float and cash register.
- Prepare sales report at the end of each event.
- Count inventory of product to determine sales figures.
- Work in lobby bar as well as various reception portable bars within the Dalhousie Arts Centre.
- Work in a fast paced environment.
- Keep work area clean and orderly and ensure stock levels are maintained.
- Must adhere to the Provincial legislation with regard to responsible liquor service.
Box Office employees are part of the front line for customer service to patrons for the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium. They are quite often the only employee a patron will interact with when attending an event. This may be done by phone and/or in person. All Box Office employees report to and are under the direction of the Box Office Manager.
Box Office Staff
- Process ticket sales to events in the Arts Centre utilizing a computerized ticketing system, cash float and seating chart.
- Provide information to patrons with regard to events, venue and/or facility.
- Respond to patron concerns in a respectful and calm manner and work closely with the Box Office Manager as needed.
- Handle telephone inquiries and ticket sales.
- Prepare an end of shift sales report including a balance of cash float.
- Other duties as assigned by the Box Office Manager.
Requirements (All Positions)
- These positions require heavy interaction with the public providing courteous, friendly professional assistance.
- Individuals need to be willing, able and committed to providing excellent customer service to every patron they serve.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Autonomous, highly organized and able to work under pressure.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to lift and transport materials and/or equipment on a frequent basis up to 50 lbs.
- Hours vary so must be able to work evenings and weekends, with some weekdays and/or holidays.
- Show understanding, courtesy and tact; may deal with people who are difficult, hostile, and/or distressed.
- Ability to read event tickets with small font and dim lighting (Usher Staff).
- Retail and cash handling experience preferred (Box Office, Bartenders, Coat Check, Candy Cart).
- Experience with processing debit card, credit card, and gift certificate payments preferred (Box Office Staff).
- Proficient in using a computer (Box Office Staff).
- Nova Scotia Serve Right Certification (Bartenders).
Interested parties should forward a cover letter, resume, and application form to:
Amanda Ryerson, House Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.