Phone: (902) 494-3661
6225 University Avenue
Halifax, NS B3H 4H8
- Information and society (innovation, knowledge systems)
- Educational and information services (collaboration, collections development)
- Information organisation and representation (information systems, social tagging, taxonomies)
- Data, information and knowledge management (collaboration, data management, information management, information systems, knowledge management)
- Human information interaction (e-learning, group/collaborative information interactions, information needs and behaviours, organizational learning)
- BA (University of Zimbabwe)
- MLIS (Dalhousie University)
- MBA (Dalhousie University)
- PhD (Dalhousie University)
- Makani, J., Frempong, G., McPherson, M. Mandeya, N. & Idris, T. (2022) Remote learning experiences of African Nova Scotian households in Canada: Reimagining a new normal. International Journal of Inclusive Education, DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2022.2107719
- Makani, J., Dossou-Yovo, A. & McPherson, M. (2021). Knowledge ecosystems, universities and innovation in SMEs: Establishing a theoretical framework and the conditions for success. In P. D. S. Freire, S. Hawamdeh, & G. A. Dandolini (Eds.), Knowledge governance and learning for organizational creativity and transformation. (pp. 319-344). World Scientific.
- Makani, J., Durier-Copp, M., Kiceniuk, D. & Blandford, A. (2016). Strengthening deeper learning through virtual teams in e-learning: A synthesis of determinants and best practices. International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education 32(2), 1-16. Best Paper Award for 2016
- Roach, D.C., Ryman, J., & Makani, J. (2016). Effectuation, innovation and performance in SMEs: an empirical study. European Journal of Innovation Management, 19(2), 214-238. Outstanding Paper in the 2017 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence
- Makani, J. (2015). Knowledge management, research data management, and university scholarship. VINE, 45(3), 344 – 359. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/VINE-07-2014-0047.
- Makani, J. & Marche, S. (2012). Classifying organizations by knowledge intensity – necessary next-steps. Journal of Knowledge Management, 16(2), 1-34. DOI: 10.1108/13673271211218843
- Makani, J. & Marche, S. (2010). Towards a typology of knowledge-intensive organizations: determinant factors. Knowledge Management Research & Practice (KMRP), 8(03), 265-277. DOI: https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.dal.ca/10.1057/kmrp.2010.13
Selected Awards and Honours:
- 2021-2022 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Partnership Engage Grant (Principal Investigator. $24,753).
- 2020-2022 SSHRC, Partnership Engage Grant (COVID19) (Principal Investigator. $25,000)
- 2018-2021 SSHRC Insight Development Grant (Co-applicant. $52,233).
- 2018-2020 SSHRC Partnership Engage Grant (Co-applicant. $24,732).
- 2018-2021 Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Inter-University Research Network (IURN) Research Grant (Principal Investigator. $18,000).
- 2015-2016 SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant (Co-applicant. $24,573).
- 2017 Outstanding Paper. Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence.
- 2017 Best Paper Award. International Journal of E-Learning & Distance Education
- 2015 Outstanding Reviewer. Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence.
- 2009 Honourable Mention, Best Paper Award. Information Systems division, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), ( ($500).