Major in Accounting
The professional accounting bodies allow certain exemptions in respect of courses taken in Dalhousie's Bachelor of Commerce. These differ from province to province. Particulars can be obtained from the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada website.
An average of B- between COMM 1101 (Intro to Accounting I - Financial) and COMM 1102 (Intro to Accounting II - Managerial) is required in order to major in Accounting.
In addition to the core courses, students must complete the following eight courses:
- COMM 3105.03 - Intermediate Financial Accounting I
- COMM 3111.03 - Intermediate Financial Accounting II
- COMM 3114.03 - External Auditing
- COMM 3116.03 - Cost Management
- COMM 4101.03 - Advanced Topics in Accounting I
- COMM 4125.03 - Taxation 1
- COMM 4102.03 - Advanced Topics in Accounting II
- COMM 4126.03 - Taxation II
Career options for Accounting majors
After earning your Bachelor of Commerce degree, you may decide to pursue your Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation. Having this designation will ensure you have acquired all the competencies that the marketplace demands and will also start you out at a higher salary.
Accounting majors can also work in a number of areas for government, not-for-profit organizations, and other corporate or entrepreneurial areas as:
- budget analysts
- financial consultants
- management consultants
- system professionals