News» Go to news main
Instructors ‑ Tractor Safety
Expression of Interest: Extended Learning seeking instructors for tractor safety training course
Extended Learning (EL) at the Dalhousie Faculty of Agriculture, believes that learning is a lifelong endeavour in agriculture and aquaculture. Education should be flexible, innovative and accessible. EL is currently recruiting instructors to deliver the Tractor Safety training course.
The Tractor Safety course is designed to increase awareness and test the competency of 14-16 year-old tractor operators with regard to the safe operation and use of farm tractors and implements on Nova Scotia public roads. The course is typically held on weekends, one to two times per year at Dalhousie Agricultural Campus in Truro, N.S. Occasionally the course is held in other areas of the province.
· 3-5 years’ experience operating farm tractors and attached implements
· Demonstrated knowledge of highway regulations as they relate to farm tractors
· Experience teaching a small group
This course is not intended to teach tractor driving. Students must have at least 10 hours of supervised tractor driving experience before taking this course.
Instructor roles and responsibilities1,2
· Deliver lessons in the classroom and practical training activities using provided materials and equipment
· Prepare/conduct formative and summative assessments
· Demonstrate competency in technology required to deliver course material
· Provide reports and gather learner feedback
· Work within an agreed-upon schedule
· Ensure that training is delivered in a safe manner and environment
· Support future course development/revision
· Support the EL team in the improvement of course content
· Be accountable for personal tasks and responsibilities as assigned
· Provide recommendations on training facilities and resources
· Ensure the best interests of learners, EL, and the Faculty are met
Instructors will be compensated for their time.
What's covered in the course:
Safe starts and stops
Connecting and hauling various implements (front and rear-end)
If you are a Dalhousie Faculty member, Instructor, or Staff Member and meet the above experience please submit your resume and cover letter, including a description of your tractor operation experience to:
Tracy Kittilsen, Manager of Extended Learning
1 Please note that replying to this this Expression of Interest you acknowledge the possibility of potential casual employment with Extended Learning and that this does not represent an active staff vacancy. Roles and responsibilities would depend on the development or teaching opportunity available.
2 Extended Learning programs are delivered on a cost recovery model. Without adequate external funding, or course enrollments, programs are cancelled. Instructors in EL programs are not compensated for cancelled programming.
- Dal AC’s International “Home Away From Home”!
- Tips from the Healthy Dal Blog:
- Sustain by Cultiv8
- Maxine Gourley Memorial Scholarship
- Look who's Talking ‑ Jeff Gunn
- Change for Conference Services and Campus Bookings
- Chartwells Food Service
- Wild Blueberry Research Intern