News» Go to news main
Plant Science Summer Intern
Summer Job Available
Job Title: Plant Science Summer Intern
Job Location: Dalhousie University – Truro, Department of Plant, Food and Environmental Science
Rate of Pay Type: Hourly
Hours per Week:35
Job Description: Prepare, plant, tend and harvest field crop, vegetable and fruit plots in the campus Demonstration Garden, Orchard, and Chef’s Garden. Providing support for training and research programs. Planting, watering, weeding, pruning, trellising, mulching and caring for field and greenhouse plants. Recording activities, planting dates, inputs and other plot data. Maintaining plots and surrounding grounds using commercial riding mowers, push mowers, string trimmer and rototillers. May include operating small farm tractors and equipment; training will be provided as needed. Maintain plots to high standards and answer visitor questions. Assisting with preparations for events such as the campus “Community Day”. Seed inventory and testing, and other plant-related support tasks. Other tasks as required.
· At least 1 year of agricultural-focussed university/college studies completed.
· Must have a strong sense of workplace safety and have the ability to work with others and independently as needed.
· Ability to do physical work outdoors in seasonal weather conditions.
· Applicants with strong organizational skills, and ability to follow directions and work independently will be given preference.
· Plant Science students returning to full time studies for fall of 2019 are preferred. (Students in other majors will be considered).
· Students requiring or registered for Dal AC internship programs in Plant Science will be given special consideration if other qualifications are adequate.
· Familiarity and experience with field crop, vegetable and fruit crop production methods is an asset.
·Previous training or experience in operation of farm tractors or equipment is an asset.
· Good computer skills using Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel, and FCC AgExpert Field is an asset.
· Valid unrestricted class 5 N.S. Driver’s License with a good driving record is an asset. (A drivers abstract will be required of potential drivers.)
Full time (35hrs) per week starting May 6, 2019, for 15-17 weeks.
Wages will be between approximately $12.00 and $16.00 hourly, based on education and experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Mar 11, 2019 11:59 PM
Application Procedure: Through myCareer
Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume, References
For more information: contact Michael Main, email@example.com or call/text 902 897 8611.