Who can use it?
Dalhousie students, employees, and alumni.
What is it?
Office 365 uses Outlook for its email system. You can store up to 50 GB of email messages and access your contacts on and off campus, from your browser, computer, or mobile device. Your email will be secure and free from advertising.
When do I use it?
Your dal.ca email is your official means of communication for academic and administrative purposes within Dalhousie. If you're a student, this is the only email address that will be used for communication with you regarding all academic and administrative matters, so any redirection of email will be at your own risk.
Where do I find it?
- Log in to myDal using your NetID@dal.ca and password.
- Click Outlook on the top-right menu.
Setting up Email on Desktops
Although you will use your email@example.com email address to set up the account, all emails will send from your primary email alias. To create or modify it you can go to the Personalized Dal.ca Email Address link below.
- Outlook 2010 or 2013
1. Open Outlook 2013. Click file and then click Add Account.
3. Once you see the congratulations window your new account has been added to the Outlook 2013 client.
- Apple Mail
1. Open Apple Mail and select Mail from the top menu bar.
2. Select Preferences.
3. Within the Accounts tab, select the + in the bottom left panel.
4. Enter your credentials and select Continue.
5. Enter outlook.office365.com for the server address.
6. Select Continue to confirm.
- Outlook 2011
1. Within the Tools menu, select Accounts.
2. In the lower left corner, select Add+, then select Exchange
3. Enter your credentials Email Address (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org) and username (NetID@Dal.ca)
4. Select Add Account.
5. Select the "Always use my response for this server" check box and select Allow.
6. Enter a unique account description for your new Exchange Account (optional) (ex: Dalhousie Email)
7. Click the cog next to Add+ to set new exchange account as your default
Setting up Email on Mobile Devices
Although you will use your email@example.com email address to set up the account, all emails will send from you primary email alias. To create or modify you can go to the Personalized Dal.ca Email Address link below.
- iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
1. Choose settings.
2. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Select Add Account.
4. Select Microsoft Exchange.
5. Enter your email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password (netid password) and description (Dalhousie).
6. Select next.
7. Select which other applications to synchronize information between.
8. Select Save.
1. Select the Email application, (could be called Mail).
2. Click Options (hotkey on cell phone) and click Settings.
3. Click the + button on the top right.
4. Enter your email@example.com and password. Click Manual Setup.
5. Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
6. Enter your username, which is your firstname.lastname@example.org, and exchange server, which will be outlook.office365.com and your email address which is your alias, typically email@example.com.
7. Select Next and Accept the security setings.
8. Select which applications will also be synchronized and other specified options.
9. Select Next.
10. Accept the security settings.
11. Enter the name for the account on the device. Select Done.
1. Go to your system settings
2. Go to accounts
3. Add account
5. Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
6. Enter Dalhousie for the Description
7. Leave Domain blank
8. Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Email Address: Email alias, i.e. email@example.com
10. Password: your net ID password
11. Server Address: outlook.office365.com
12. Select Next.
13. Select Done.
Note: You may need to wait ten-to-fifteen minutes after you set up your account before you can send or receive e-mail.