Free public screening followed by moderated, expert-led discussion about opioid addictions and related health and social issues.
Mon. 11 Jun 2018 (6:00PM-8:45PM)
Paul O'Regan Hall│Halifax Central Library│5440 Spring Garden Rd.
Come early, seating is limited. No reservations.
Download event poster [coming soon]
Blaise and Vanessa are outcast methadone users struggling to get by. Each day they push a broken-down lawnmower door-to-door begging to cut grass to make a little money. Tethered together, their getaway dreams are kept on a suffocatingly short leash. (IMDB summary edited)
Moderator: Tim Krahn (Research Associate, Novel Tech Ethics, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax NS).
Topics for discussion
- opioid use
- prescription drug misuse
- substance abuse
- clinical practice regulations
- pharmaceutical industry
- Anonymous. (7 Mar 2018). Werewolf. Critics Round Up.
- Kenny, G. (28 Feb 2018). Review: in 'Werewolf,' a drug-addicted couple struggle to stay clean. New York Times.
- Ebiri, B. (27 Feb 2018). Ashley McKenzie's "Werewolf" finds a fresh, moving angle on the lives of addicts. The Village Voice.
- D'Angelo, M. (27 Feb 2018). Addiction is the real monster of Werewolf, a striking addition to the junkies-in-love genre. AV Club.
- Bowen, C. (25 Feb 2018). Werewolf. Slant Magazine.
- Nayman, A. (n.d.). Werewolf (Ashley McKenzie, Canada)—Discovery. Cenma Scope.
- Hertz, B. (1 Jun 2017). Review: Werewolf is one of the summer’s best movies. The Globe and Mail.
- Wilner, N. (1 Jun 2017). Werewolf is one of the best Canadian films you'll see this year. NowToronto.
- Roberts, J. (24 Mar 2017). Introducing the fearless Ashley MacKenzie.The Globe & Mail.
- Mintzer, J. (10 Feb 2017). ‘Werewolf’: Film Review│Berlin 2017. Hollywood Reporter.
- Funk, K. (13 Jan 2017). The Werewolves and the destroyers. A conversation between Canadian filmmaker Ashley McKenzie and Kevan Funk. TIFF.net.
- Leydon, J. (20 Sept 2016). Film review: 'Werewolf'. Recovering addicts trudge through the drudgery of their hard-scrabble lives in Ashley McKenzie's debut feature. Variety.
- Schobert, C. (12 Sept 2016). 'Werewolf' is an intoxicating debut feature by Ashley McKenzie [TIFF review]. ThePlayList.net.
- Mobarak, J. (9 Sept 2016). Werewolf - TIFF 2016 review. TheFilmStage.com.
- Murthi, V. (29 Aug 2016). 'Werewolf' exclusive clip: two methadone addicts struggle with isolation in small town. IndieWire.
- Bioethics in Action
- Choosing Down Syndrome: Why More People Should Choose to Have Children with Down Syndrome
- Editing the Human Genome: The Ethics of Moulding Our Future
- I Smile Back
- Philosophers Offer Support for Chimpanzee Rights Cases as Nonhuman Rights Project Seeks to Appeal to New York's Highest Court
- TCPS 2: Comments on Proposed Changes Pertaining to Research Involving Human Cells and Cell Lines
- Sanctuary: The Future for Captive Whales