Events, By Category and Date:» Go to news main
Having Our Baby: The Surrogacy Boom
Tues. 28 Feb 2017 (10:00PM EST).
Repeated again: 1 Mar 2017 (1:00AM EST)
Summary: Advances in medical technology and acceptance of gay marriage have fuelled a surrogate baby boom in Canada. Canadian surrogates are so desirable, foreign would-be parents now flock to Canada too. Everyone makes money off the deal, except the surrogate moms themselves. Having our Baby follows two childless couples and their surrogates as they navigate the legal and ethical challenges of this most intimate and contentious of transaction.
Françoise Baylis appears as an interviewee in this documentary on the topic of contract pregnancy ("surrogacy") in Canada.
Read a CBC article explaining Having Our Baby: The Surrogacy Boom.
Read Leung, W. Q & A: Surrogacy boom. (27 Feb 2017).The Globe and Mail.
- Choosing Down Syndrome: Why More People Should Choose to Have Children with Down Syndrome
- Editing the Human Genome: The Ethics of Moulding Our Future
- I Smile Back
- Philosophers Offer Support for Chimpanzee Rights Cases as Nonhuman Rights Project Seeks to Appeal to New York's Highest Court
- TCPS 2: Comments on Proposed Changes Pertaining to Research Involving Human Cells and Cell Lines
- Sanctuary: The Future for Captive Whales
- Drug Secrecy No More