The University Legal Counsel Office is responsible for managing the university’s legal affairs.
- Provide counsel (legal, policy and risk management advice) to senior officers, administrative and academic units on a wide range of legal issues affecting university programs, activities and operations.
- Provide university governance advice and procedural advice to senior officers of the university, Board, and Senate
- Contract review, preparation, and negotiation on behalf of the university (including faculties, schools, departments, other units)
- Recommend and develop university policies, regulations, practices, and procedures
- Manage litigation, human rights complaints, and other proceedings against the University
- Maintain records of disclosures under the Policy on Conflict of Interest
- Manage Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act access to information process
- Retain and instruct outside counsel on behalf of the University.
Please note - Legal review is mandatory for most contracts prior to obtaining an authorized signature.
This website is maintained by the Dalhousie Legal Counsel Office in order to provide readers with general information about the Legal Counsel Office and its role at the university. To report an issue on this website, please contact us at (902) 494-2184.