Information & Instructions - Please Read
Please note that submission of your forms is now due on the first Thursday of every month. Please ensure that your documents are submitted prior to your expiry date.
Protocol application forms
All current protocol application forms are available below. The application forms are revised frequently, so please check back regularly to ensure you are submitting the most recent version. Appendicies provide additional information to help fill out the forms. Please use lay language when completing the forms.
This application form is required for most projects that propose to use vertebrates or cephalopods in research, teaching, or testing at Dalhousie University. Sections 1-9 of the Form A must be completed by everyone. Relevant attachments should be included if applicable.
This Renewal and Amendment Form is used to renew a protocol for a further year and/or to make minor changes to a protocol.
This application form may be used for work involving invertebrates (other than cephalopods), tissue cultures, tissues obtained from necropsy or from a slaughterhouse, the use of eggs, protozoa or other single celled organisms.
In compliance with Tri-Council and CCAC requirements, Dalhousie’s Research Services is not permitted to release research funds until documentation of all necessary approvals is received (for example animal ethics, human ethics, biohazard and radiation permits). It is the investigator’s responsibility to ensure that protocols are up-to-date and that the documentation is provided to Research Services in a timely fashion. Please allow sufficient time for animal ethics review and resolution of any subsequent questions or clarifications. Protocols must be fully approved before Financial Services opens the account.
Peer review for scientific merit
Information found in Appendix 2. [Doc - 23kB]
Deadlines & meetings
The Committee meets monthly. See submission deadlines for each meeting. This deadline is for electronic submission. Signature copy may follow in campus mail.
Please provide 1 hard copy, signed by the principal investigator, plus an electronic copy of the application form and all relevant attachments. Send electronic copies to UCLA@dal.ca.
Questions arising from the application are sent out after the meeting and may need to be reviewed by the full Committee at another meeting before approval is granted. Please be sure to allow enough time for these possibilities.
UCLA Review & Committee
The University Committee on Laboratory Animals reviews animal protocol applications to determine if proposed projects meet ethical guidelines established by the Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC). The main ethical principle used in evaluating animal projects is the principle of the 3R’s- Replacement, Refinement, and Reduction. The Committee may, at times, make suggestions or recommendations for changes in a protocol that will enhance animal care and welfare. Please feel free to contact us for assistance in completing the protocol application form. The Committee welcomes discussion with investigators to find solutions to problematic issues
The principal investigator’s signature is required on all protocol applications. The PI is responsible for all information in the protocol and related correspondence and for ensuring that all work has been fully approved and is being done according to the approved protocol.
- Form A [Doc - 222kB]: Application to use animals for research or teaching - ethics review
- Form B [Doc - 66kB]: Renewal and amendment form
- Form C [Doc- 46kB]: Application to use invertibrates, tissues obtained from necropsy, or obtained from a slaughterhouse
- Appendix 1 [Doc - 31kB]: CCAC Categories of Invasiveness in Animal Experiments (updated August, 2015)
- Appendix 1(b)[Doc - 26kB]: CCAC Categories of Invasiveness for Wildlife Studies (updated August, 2015)
- Appendix 2 [Doc - 32kB]: Policy on Peer Review for Scientific Merit (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment A [Doc - 23kB]: Part 1 & 2: Anesthesia and Surgery (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment B [Doc - 83kB]: Progress Report (Note: Attachment B is different from Form B) (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment C [Doc - 16kB]: Teaching (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment D [Doc - 38kB]: Field Studies (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment E [Doc - 50kB]: Hazardous Agents (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment F [Doc - 45kB]: Breeding Colonies (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment G [Doc - 36kB]: Immunization of Animals (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment H [Doc - 34kB]: Tumors, Stem Cells, and Other Biological Materials (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment I [Doc - 29kB]: Regulatory Testing (updated August, 2015)
- Attachment J [Doc - 31kB]: Use of Laboratory Animals Outside of Animal Facilities (updated August, 2015)
Attachments for Corporate Partners only
- Master Checklist
- Scientific Peer Review of Animal Research Proposals from Corporate Partners
- Attachment K: Novel/Uncharacterized Compound Risk Assessment
- Attachment L: Access of Corporate Partners to Animal Care Facilities for research involving chemical and biological hazards and risks
*Please contact UCLA@dal.ca to access these forms