Why do your MSc in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Dal?
Sharing our commitment to research
MSc in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Alongside our strong dedication to training students for successful academic, medical and industrial careers, you’ll also find that we are commited to furthering research. This full-time program provides everything you need to become a well-rounded researcher, including:
- laboratory work
- guided seminar presentations
- discussion groups
Our department’s collective research strengths include molecular evolution, cell signalling, gene expression and protein chemistry. And since we can’t enrol you in the program without a stipend, there is also ample opportunity for scholarship support through the department, set at a minimum amount of $21,500 as of September 2015.
What about the future?
An MSc in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology opens the door to a variety of careers:
- employment in government and industrial laboratories
- the RCMP employs biochemists in forensic science laboratories
- opportunities in clinical diagnostic medicine in hospitals and in the numerous companies now providing diagnostic procedures
- the pharmaceutical, brewing and food processing industries employ biochemists
- monitoring and control of pollution are also expanding fields for biochemists
- recent advances in molecular biology and genetics has given biochemistry a major role in the biotechnology industry
Biochemistry will continue to be a very good preparation for the professions of medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. Opportunities exist in universities and research institutes for biochemists with post graduate degrees.