Professor & Recruitment Coordinator
Currently, Dr. Ugursal is NOT looking for a graduate student. Applications/inquiries will not be answered.
CONTACT INFORMATIONDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
PO BOX 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- BSc (Mechanical Engineerig), Bogazici University
- MEng (Industrial Engineering), PhD (Chemical Engineering), TUNS
- Energy System Modeling
- Residential Energy Consumption
- Advanced Power Cycles
(Modeling and analysis of energy consumption in the residential sector, Energy management, planning and conservation, Energy conservation, Advanced power generation cycles, Heat Pump Systems, Design and analysis of building thermal systems.)
Dr. Ugursal worked in various areas of energy engineering as a consultant, project director, researcher, and teacher. He has worked on energy and international development projects in Canada, Turkey, Sierra Leone, Russia, Columbia, The Gambia, Trinidad and Tobago, the Philippines and Thailand. Over the past ten years, he received more than 20 research contracts and grants as the project director/principal investigator with a total external funding of more than $2 million.
Before joining the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS amalgamated with Dalhousie University on April 1, 1997), he worked as a project engineer in a consulting engineering company specializing in energy management and conservation. During this term, he conducted a wide range of energy optimization projects in the commercial and institutional building sectors, as well as the industrial sector.
Prior to his consulting career, he worked in the Energy and Mechanical Engineering Division of Marmara Research Centre of the National Research Council of Turkey. He was involved in a wide range of solar energy and industrial energy optimization projects.
He teaches courses on thermodynamics, heating, ventilating and air-conditioning, energy management, internal combustion engines, and energy conversion.
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award of the Society of Automotive Engineers, 1990
- United Nations TOKTEN award, 1993
- Professor of the Year award (given by Senior Mechanical Engineering students, an honor he cherishes the most), 2001
- Guler, B., Fung, A.S., Aydinalp, M., Ugursal, V.I., "Impact of energy efficiency upgrade retrofits on the residential energy consumption in Canada", In print, Int. J. of Energy Research, Aug. 2000.
- Ong'iro, A., Ugursal, V.I., Al Taweel, A.M., "Techno-economic Modeling of Integrated Advanced Power Cycles", in print, International Journal of Global Energy Issues.
- Ongíiro, A., Ugursal, V.I., Al Taweel, A.M., "Techno-economic analysis of IGCC power generation systems based on fluidized-bed gasifiers", Trans. of the CSME, Vol. 23, No. 1B, pp. 213-224, Sept. 1999 (also in Proc., CSME Forum, Toronto, Vol. 1, pp. 483-490, May 1998.)
- H. Farahbakhsh, V.I. Ugursal, A.S. Fung ìA Residential End-use Energy Consumption Model for Canadaî, Int. J. of Energy Research, Vol. 22, pp. 1133-1143, 1998.
- Ugursal, V.I., Fung, A.S. ìResidential carbon dioxide emissions in Canada: Impact of efficiency improvements and fuel substitutionî, Global Environmental Change , Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 263-273, Oct. 1998.
- Fung, A.S., Ugursal, V.I., ìResidential lighting energy use in Canadaî, Energy Studies Review, Vol. 8, No.3, pp. 264-268, 1998.
- Ong'iro, A., Ugursal, V.I., Al Taweel, A.M., Walker, J.D., "Modeling of heat recovery steam generator performance", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 427-446, May 1997.
- Healy, P.F., Ugursal, V.I., "Performance and Economic Feasibility of Ground Source Heat Pumps in Cold Climate", Int. J. of Energy Res., Vol. 21, pp. 857-870, 1997.
- A.S. Fung, M. Aydinalp, V. I. Ugursal, H. Farahbakhsh, ìA residential; end-use energy consumption model for Canadaî, The Canadian Conference on Building Energy Simulation, Ottawa, June 13-14, 2001.
- M. Aydinalp, V.I. Ugursal and A.S. Fung ìPredicting residential appliance, lighting and space cooling energy consumption using neural networksî, 4th International Thermal Energy Congress, Izmir, Turkey, July 8 ñ 12, 2001
- Aydinalp,M., V.I. Ugursal & A.S. Fung, "Modeling of Residential Energy Consumption at the National Level", IEMS and ICC&IE 2001 Joint Meeting, Florida, March 5-7, 2001.
- Guler, B., Fung, A.S., Ugursal, V.I., "Impact of Residential Energy Conservation Measures on National Energy Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions", Keynote Address, 12th Int. Symp. On Transport Phenomena, Istanbul, July 16-20, 2000.
- Aydinalp,M., V.I. Ugursal & A.S. Fung, "Modeling of Residential Energy Consumption at the National Level", 12th Int. Symp. On Transport Phenomena, Istanbul, July 16-20, 2000.
- Greene, T.E., Ugursal, V.I., O'Blenes, B., "Technoeconomic Evaluation of Ground Source Heat Pumps in Institutional Buildings", 2nd Trabzon Int. Energy and Environment Symp., July 26-29, 1998.
- Ong'iro, A.O., Ugursal, V.I., Al Taweel, A.M., "Techno-economic analysis of IGCC power generation systems based on entrained-bed gasifiers", Proceedings, Flowers '97 Conference, Florence, pp. 407-418, July 1997.