Refining Your Learning Skills for Academically Dismissed Students
Refining Your Learning Skills for Academically Dismissed Students is a practical and experiential program, which gives you the opportunity to work towards achieving academic success.
This course may assist you in your application for a waiver of academic dismissal if you are a Dalhousie Student. A waiver means you may return to classes in September rather than sitting out a year. It is strongly recommended that you speak with your Faculty or program advisor before registering for this course, especially if you are a student at an institution other than Dalhousie.
You may only take this course ONCE. No student may repeat this course.
Register early. Space is limited.
- University-level competency in spoken and written English.
- Academic Dismissal from a post-secondary institution.
Refining classes run from 9:00 am sharp until 12:00 noon for 10 days over a two week period. There is a written assignment every day that requires approximately 3 hours, and some afternoon appointments.
Strict Academic Integrity regulations apply. Pass mark is 80%.
It is a holistic program, wherein students will be asked to develop and demonstrate effective study skills, as well as coping strategies and other aspects of self-care.
|1||Thoughts, Feelings, Behaviours|
|3||Learning from Lectures and Note Taking|
|5||Goal Setting and Breaking Bad Habits|
|6||Procrastination and Alternative Thinking Strategies
|8||Assertive Communication and Exam Anxiety
|9||Exam Preparation and Survival Tips|
|10||Mindfulness and Your Future|
Fee & Upcoming Dates
Fee: $895 - Full payment is required to secure a seat.
Dates: 2019 dates TBA; usually once per month from April to August
Maximum class size is 30 students. Classes are subject to cancellation if enrolment is too low.
- Acquire study skill techniques required for academic success.
- Learn strategies to manage stress.
- Identify your preferred style of learning.
- Apply a time management system to handle a heavy workload.
- Learn goal setting techniques.
- Gain the most out of lectures.
- Develop a note taking system that leads to achieving learning outcomes.
- Identify techniques of test and exam preparation.
- Become a better, more confident student.
- Renew your sense of purpose and direction.
- Achieve your desired Grade Point Average.
- Increase self-awareness and confidence.
- Identify positive patterns of thinking, feeling and doing.
- Create strategies for work, study and personal life balance.