Investing in your retirement
Dalhousie University provides a defined benefit plan to help you invest in your future. Review the information below and discover how we can support you on your journey to retirement.
How do I enroll in the pension plan?
Find out in our Pension Info for New Employees section.
What is included in the plan?
- Notice of Pension Plan Amendment - dated January 2018 [321KB]
- Amendment to Reflect Changes to the NS Pension Benefits Act – January 2018 [315KB]
- Notice of Pension Plan Amendment - August 2016 [337KB]
- Amendment Change to Interest Crediting - August 2016 [PDF-10KB]
- Employee Pension Contribution Notice (2%) - January 2013 [PDF-186KB]
- Employee Pension Contribution FAQs (2%) - January 2013 [PDF-186KB]
- Amendment Notice (2%) - December 2012 [PDF-86KB]
- Amendment FAQs (2%) - December 2012 [PDF-36KB]
- Amendment Notice (2% Contribution) - July 2012 [PDF-12kb]
- Advantages/Disadvantages of Receiving a Pension from Dalhousie [PDF-185KB]
If you are currently contributing to the Dalhousie Pension Plan, you are considered an Active member of the Dalhousie University Staff Pension Plan. As a member, you have access to your annual statement and projection/planning tools to assist in your retirement planning.
Pension Projection Tool enables you to estimate the annual defined benefit payable at a specified retirement date based on your pension record. Certain scenarios applicable to member experience may impact the results of the projection tool and it is important to note that the projection results are for estimate purposes only. To ensure that you receive a comprehensive statement of your annual defined benefit we recommend that you contact Retirement Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least six months in advance of your planned retirement date.
Pension Projection Tool FAQs [PDF-356KB]
My Retirement Horizon is an online financial planning tool supported by Morneau Sobeco. This product provides further forecasting capabilities for you to assess your current strategy toward retirement savings. Assumptions and results should be discussed with a financial planner.
If you are currently contributing to the Dalhousie Pension Plan, to access these tools:
- Log into Dal Online
- Click on the Employees tab
- Click Pension Projection and Financial Planning Tools
- Click Pension Projection and My Retirement Horizon login
- At the login page, enter your Banner ID and password that you previously set up, or follow the appropriate prompts to set up a password.
If you require assistance with these tools please contact us at email@example.com.