1.  What insurance coverage is provided for laptop computers?

Laptops are covered under the University’s self-insurance policy.  A deductible of 10% of the cost to repair or replace the laptop will be the responsibility of the department that owns the laptop.  Coverage for loss or damage to laptops will follow Dalhousie’s property policy wording.

Laptops, cameras, etc, should always stay with the person when traveling - even when in a car. They should not be checked with the luggage or left unattended. They should never be left in a vehicle overnight or even while going into a store.

2.  How do I provide proof of insurance to another organization?  Can I provide a copy of our insurance policies?

Refer to the Certificate of Insurance section for details.  We do not provide copies of insurance policies to departments.  Contact Risk & Insurance if you have any specific questions regarding coverage.

3.   Does a caterer need insurance for an event on campus? 

Yes, external caterers will need to provide proof of insurance for any events being hosted on campus.  We require at least $2 million in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance with Dalhousie University listed as an additional insured.  A copy of the certificate can be filed with Risk & Insurance for future events with the same caterer.

4.   Provide me with a letter showing what insurance coverage Dalhousie carries. 

We do not provide a general letter of insurance coverage to be kept on file to be used as required. Each year, our insurance policies are renewed, and there may be changes that may not be reflected in the letter. If you require proof of coverage for an event, placement or practicum, we can provide you with a Certificate of Insurance. Refer to the section on Certificates of Insurance for further information. 

5.   I am borrowing or renting equipment, and we will be held liable should it become damaged.  Is this equipment covered under our property policy? 

Yes, however Dalhousie’s property policy carries a high deductible which may be mor than the value of the equipment being borrowed or rented.  Contact Risk & Insurance to arrange for separate coverage of this equipment.  Any premium will be charged to the department borrowing the equipment.

6.   Our department is purchasing a new vehicle – how do I arrange insurance coverage?

Coverage for all Dalhousie-owned vehicles, including those purchased with Research or Grant funds, is coordinated through Risk & Insurance.  For new purchases, provide the following information with notice: a copy of the bill of sale or purchase agreement, the original New Vehicle Information Statement, and a copy of the Motor Vehicle Inspection.  Please also advise if a plate is needed or if your department has one that will be attached to the vehicle.

7.   I am renting a vehicle for University business.  Does the University provide coverage or do I have to purchase insurance from the rental company?

If using a Travel card, the Collision Damage Waiver from the rental agency can be declined.  In all other instances, coverage should be purchased through the rental agency.

8.   As part of my University duties, I am required to sit on a board of an entity external to the University.  Am I covered by Dalhousie’s insurance while sitting on this board?

In the event of a claim, the insurance policy of external board would respond first. Dalhousie’s insurance would be considered secondary coverage, as you are an employee of the University who is required to sit on this board during the course of your employment.

9.   Who do I contact in case of an auto accident/incident with a University-owned vehicle?

If you are in an accident while driving a University-owned vehicle, you would respond in the same manner as any vehicle accident. This would include contacting the police, emergency response and Security. Instead of contacting the insurer directly, please contact the Risk & Insurance, regardless of fault. If required, this office will initiate the claims process and be the liaison between you and the insurer. You should also notify your supervisor or department head.

10.   How do I arrange insurance coverage while a piece of equipment is in transit?

Coverage for property in transit is covered automatically through our property policy, but subject to a $25,000 deductible.  Dalhousie also has a separate policy with a lower deductible but is subject to a limit of $300,000.  In order to place coverage, please provide: equipment information (manufacturer, model, serial number(s)), value of equipment in Canadian dollars, where the equipment is being shipped to, and reason for shipment.  Alternatively, for shipments outside of Canada, a copy of the Export Information Sheet can be provided.

11.   How do I make an insurance claim?

If the incident took place on campus, contact Security Services at 902-494-6400 to report the incident.  Contact Risk & Insurance to discuss coverage and to initiate the claim process.

For most property claims, you will need to provide evidence showing that the item was purchased with University funds. Depending on the nature of the claim, an adjuster may be assigned to investigate the incident. Risk & Insurance will act as the liaison between you and the insurance adjuster.