Certificate of Insurance
If a department within the University enters into an agreement with a party external to the University, the University is sometimes requested to provide proof of insurance coverage. This can be accomplished through a certificate of insurance. It is the role of the Risk Management Coordinator to determine if it is possible to provide the certificate of insurance.
A certificate of insurance is written evidence that an entity, in this case Dalhousie University, has appropriate insurance in place to cover students or employees while working on behalf of the University at sites external to the University.
Requesting a certificate of insurance
If a department, or a student within the department, requires a certificate of insurance:
- The department administrator should fill out the Certificate of Insurance form and send it to: Risk Management Coordinator, Financial Services, Henry Hicks Building or fax it to 902-494-3131.
- If a student contacts Financial Services to request a certificate, they will be instructed to request the certificate through their department administrator.
- Certificates of insurance will be sent directly to the certificate holder if an email address is provided with a copy to the department, unless otherwise specified.
- If an email address is not provided, a copy will be sent to the department only with a request that the department forward it to the institution requesting proof of coverage.
- The certificate can only be provided for the current calendar year, but can be renewed for subsequent years upon request. Certificates will not be issued for future calendar years until close to the end of the current calendar year.
Please allow sufficient time for the certificate to be processed, by notifying the Risk Management Coordinator a week or two before it is required. This will allow time to assess and review the request to make sure appropriate cover is in place or if it is possible to provide a certificate of insurance. Not all requests are straight forward, and the Risk Management Coordinator may follow up with the department for further information before the certificate can be finalized.
If the request for a certificate of insurance is a result of an agreement, please provide a copy of the agreement or the pages that refer to insurance. The agreement may provide additional information pertinent to providing proof of coverage. Ensure the agreement is appropriately signed. Refer to the Signing Authority Policy.
Certificate of Insurance form
The Certificate of Insurance form can be found here.