Events, By Category and Date:» Go to news main
Genealogy & Genetics: Free Public Workshop
WHERE: Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian MacDonald Blvd, North York, York University Keele Campus, Toronto ON
WHEN: 21 Sept 2018, 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM ADT
WHAT: Thinking of buying an ancestral DNA test for yourself or someone else? Already have your results?
This free, day-long workshop will help you understand the science, ethics, social and privacy implications of direct-to-consumer genetic genealogy.
The workshop will also be live-streamed for those unable to attend. Just register here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/genealogy-and-genetics-a-free-public-workshop-livestreamed-tickets-50093147954
WHO: For more information about the speakers: http://events.laps.yorku.ca/event/genealogy-and-genetics-a-free-public-workshop-at-the-archives-of-ontario/?instance_id=131674
Topics at the workshop will include:
- Where genealogy meets genetics, by genealogist and Chief Executive of Ancestry Solutions Susan Young
- The science of genetic genealogy, by evolutionary biologist Hendrik Poinar, a professor of anthropology at McMaster University who specialize in ancient DNA
- Genetic genealogy and racial identity, by Wendy Roth, an associate professor of sociology at the University of British Columbia, who studies the effect of genetic ancestry testing on test-takers’ identities, attitudes and understanding of race and ethnicity
- Genetic genealogy and the invention of Indigenous ancestry, by Darryl Leroux, an associate professor of social justice and community studies at Saint Mary’s University who studies the connections between national genomics and genealogy in Quebec
- Privacy and genetic genealogy, by Kieran O’Doherty, an associate professor of applied social psychology at the University of Guelph whose research includes the social and ethical implications of genetics/genomics
- The ethics of bio-data and genetic genealogy, by Professor Françoise Baylis, Canada Research Chair in Bioethics and Philosophy at Dalhousie University
Hosted by York University.
- Appointment to WHO Expert Advisory Committee
- Questioning the Proposed Translational Pathway for Germline Genome Editing
- Data Mining the Deceased: Film & Discussion
- Health for All: Implications of Gender & Sexuality for Bioethics
- Interview: 'You Can't Just Pretend to be God'
- Be It Resolved: The Prohibition on Payment for Surrogacy & Gametes in Canada Should Be Repealed
- Women Prisoners and the Right to Health Care
- Ancestry Tracing: Can Genetics Tell You Who You Are?