Today@Dal» Go to news main
Job Posting: Study Skills Coach
On-campus Part-Time Employment
Posting Date: July 4, 2022
Application Deadline: July 18, 2022
Study Skills Coach - Studying for Success Program
Number of Positions:
THREE positions: ONE position EACH, for graduate students in the fields of Chemistry, Humanities, or Economics or Management.
Bissett Student Success Centre; Dalhousie University
Rate of Pay:
$15/hr - Master's students; $20/hr - Ph.D. students
Hours per Week:
The Studying for Success Study Skills Program’s primary goal is to help students become more efficient and effective learners. To provide more focused support, Study Coaches are assigned to specialized areas of study. As part of this program’s team, Study Skills Coaches:
• hold regular weekly office hours;
• work with individual students on academic skill development using a range of individual coaching strategies;
• schedule and facilitate study skills workshops for small groups of students, and adapt content to specific areas of study;
• assist the Studying for Success Coordinator in maintaining regular contacts with faculty advisors, course instructors, and departments in their specialized area of study, to promote the Studying for Success program and services;
• assist the Studying for Success Coordinator in the implementation of Studying for Success Program initiatives;
• collect and report coaching activities as required;
• attend scheduled team meetings.
This Study Skills Coaching position starts in the Fall term from September 12, 2022, through to April 14, 2023. Hours are approximately 4-8 hours/weekly.
This position is a great opportunity to: work with motivated students, develop your knowledge of the learning process and enhance presentation skills. It is also an opportunity to work as part of a team and participate in student program development. Study skills coaches will also be recognized by the Co-Curricular Record (CCR) for their work.
- Candidates should be graduate students (Master’s or Ph.D. candidates) in Chemistry, Humanities, or Economics or Management, who are currently enrolled at Dalhousie. Senior undergrads (year 4 or above) majoring in any of the above-mentioned fields with excellent academic records and TA or teaching experience will be considered.
- TA, teaching or tutoring experience in related courses at DAL
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Very solid oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to the educational development of students
- Knowledge of the Dalhousie University community
- Being social media savvy is an asset
Along with a cover letter and resume or CV, applications should include the names, titles, and contact information of three professional references. No personal references will be accepted.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE ABOVE POSITION, PLEASE APPLY, BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE, VIA EMAIL TO:
Ms. Jessica Chubb
Coordinator, Studying for Success Program
- Teaching Assistant postings: College of Pharmacy
- Marker posting for CMSD 5250: Speech Disorders Children
- New certificates tailored for learners’ needs and schedules
- Seeking participants for intermittent fasting research
- Registrar’s Office closed Friday, Aug. 19
- Parking for 2022‑2023
- Reminder: Registrar’s Office closed Friday, Aug. 19
- Temporary closure: Black Student Advising Centre