Today@Dal» Go to news main
Graduate Student Research Assistant Posting ‑ School for Resource and Environmental Studies
Graduate Student Research Assistant Posting
Posting date: February 7, 2018
Application deadline: February 19, 2018 (4:30 pm)
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Type of posting: Part time, limited term
Job description: The Research Assistant will work collaboratively with researchers at Dalhousie University, Memorial University of Newfoundland, and The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC). They will help to (1) develop ArcGIS tutorials and other digital
communication materials and (2) deliver them in a series of five one-day workshops with practitioners across the Maritime Provinces and in Quebec City. The materials and the workshops will serve to communicate the utility of NCC’s Freshwater Stream Classification and tools for planning and policy applications to workshop participants across the region.
Specific skills and interests required primarily include those related to:
• ArcGIS Story Maps, Web Apps, and Web Maps for communication and spatial planning purposes;
• Knowledge on how to create detailed step-by-step (i.e. How to) tutorial instructions;
• Experience using ArcGIS Online; and,
• Interpersonal competencies for interacting with local and regional freshwater experts, policy makers, and stakeholder groups from governments (i.e. municipal, provincial, federal) and non-governmental groups.
The position will start in late February and extend to December 2018. The majority of the work will be concentrated in the spring and summer months, with occasional travel in the Maritimes and Quebec during the summer months. During this time, the RA will work closely with collaborators from NCC in NB.
Experience with programming language (i.e. AML, python, SQL, HTML5), interest in freshwater conservation planning, and French language abilities will be considered assets.
The successful applicant will ideally be an in-program student, but we will consider applications from recent graduates.
Terms: Funding for the position is provided by SSHRC and is secured to the end of December 2018; extension is subject to additional funding. Remuneration is:
• 490 hours (average 14 hours/week) @ $21/hour plus 4% vacation pay.
To apply: Please submit, electronically, to Prof. Karen Beazley: Karen.Beazley@dal.ca
• One-page cover letter summarizing suitability for the position, and
• Curriculum vitae.
Inquiries should be directed to Prof. Karen Beazley: Karen.Beazley@dal.ca
- Get creative and enter the 2019 Science As Art Photo Competition
- Encouraging others to meet expectations
- Call for alumni volunteer opportunities
- Winter 2018 Computer Application Courses
- Senate Agenda ‑ February 26, 2018
- It's not too late to Move More with Dalplex!
- Healthy adult volunteers needed for research on memory and attention in people living with multiple sclerosis (MS)
- 20th Annual African Nova Scotian Music Association Awards Show