Today@Dal» Go to news main
11‑ to 12‑year‑olds needed for fun study on sharing
The Early Social Development Lab (ESDL) is currently looking for children who are 11- to 12-years of age to participate in a study on the influence of similarity on sharing. To participate in this study, children must be typically developing and fluent in English.
In this study, we will ask your child to tell us about something they are interested in (e.g., favourite food or TV show) and to rate how much they like it. Next, your child will be shown drawings of three other children. We will introduce one of them as having the same interest as your child, one as having a different interest, and one whose interests we aren’t sure about. Your child will then be asked to finish a "search & find" task that they will be told was started by one of the other children in which they are asked to find and circle specific symbols on a piece of paper. Lastly, your child will play a sharing game where they will be asked to decide whether or not to share with each of the three children. This study will allow us to see whether children are more willing to share with others with whom they share a common interest with compared to children whose interests are different than their own.
This study involves one ~35 minute visit to the ESDL at Dalhousie University. In general, we’re available 7 days a week and at flexible times to accommodate your family’s schedule. We have reserved parking for parents and children receive a certificate and stationery set as a thank-you for coming in. For every child who participates in the study, the family will be entered in a draw for a chance to win 1 of 3 prizes: $100 Grocery Store Gift Card, Family Movie Pass, or a Restaurant Voucher.
If you are interested in participating or learning more, please contact Stef Hartlin at email@example.com or 902 494 6106.
- Teaching Assistant / Marker / Demonstrator posting: College of Sustainability
- Part‑Time Academic Posting ‑ Plant, Food, and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture
- Limited hot water at Dalplex & Sexton Gym
- Teaching Assistant Postings ‑ Fountain School of Performing Arts, FASS
- Dalplex pool closed next week
- Media Highlight: Dalhousie researcher explains roles of opioids, medical marijuana, and related drugs in chronic pain treatment
- MultiFaith Calendar ‑ August 16 ‑ 31
- Research study: Exploring sharing information in virtual environments _Round 3