Self-Defence Class (open to all)
This session is offered as part of the Dalhousie staff and faculty Organizational Health and Wellness program. Please regester for this event here.
This participatory session is designed to give participants tips to protect themselves and confidence in case their personal safety is at risk.
Participants will learn:
Participants should not worry about dressing a specific way, as you aren’t always wearing sweatpants when you need to defend yourself.
Our instructor: Connor McKechnie is a Co-op Student with Dal Security who has been teaching karate classes since he was 14. He has a first degree black belt in Shido-Kan Karate and won two bronze medals for Canada at the 2016 International Games hosted by The International Congress of Martial Arts.
- ways to use the DalSafe app to stay safe
- various techniques to get away from someone who is grabbing you or is on top of you
- how to prevent someone from trying to strangle you or using your hair to pull you down
- how to strike someone to prevent them from following you while you flee the scene
- safety tips for walking alone and making use of available weapons
Health and Wellness