News» Go to news main
Video: Dal Industrial Engineering student on co‑op with LED Roadway Lighting
During his co-op work term with LED Roadway Lighting Ltd., Dalhousie Industrial Engineering student Robert Miller was featured on this video short by Global News and the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE). Working out of LED Roadway’s Amherst, Nova Scotia production facility, Robert provided technical engineering support to optimize production, reduce costs and shorten cycle time.
Robert’s work term with LED Roadway built upon his understanding of high-tech electronic assembly, the application of lean manufacturing techniques, and the analysis of results and benefits. Robert also completed product value stream mapping and devised an implementation plan to facilitate lean activities to improve manufacturing efficiencies. By compiling and analyzing data, Robert helped to balanced assembly areas and augment layout. His ability to identify and manage additional projects benefitted everything from the allocation of raw material to the shipment of completed products.
I think co-op plays a huge role in looking for employment; it puts experience on your resume and exposes students to various industries,” says Robert. “I did three co-op positions in three completely different industries and it can really give you a sense of what's out there.”
Following graduation, Robert secured a full-time position as a Customer Solutions Engineer with Eastlink in Halifax, where he manages multiple projects and designs customer phone and internet networks.
LED Roadway Lighting Ltd. is a Canadian-owned and operated clean technology company whose LED-based street and area lighting products provide energy savings of up to 60% and substantially reduce maintenance costs.
Check out other co-op videos in this series:
- Mike McKinnon, Resource & Environmental Co-op Student (Dalhousie University) at Summerhill Group
- Emma Tompkins, Biology Co-op Student (St. Francis Xavier University) at Dalhousie Agriculture Campus
- Peter Chen, Computer Science Co-op Student (Acadia University) at Ocean Sonics Ltd.
- Monique Pellerin, Public Relations Co-op Student (Mount Saint Vincent University) at Taste of Nova Scotia
- Travis Crowell, Anthropology Co-op Student, (St. Mary’s University) at Davis MacIntyre & Associates Limited
- Student Spotlight: Statistics Co‑op student Julie Ann Zhao @ Medavie
- Student Spotlight: Mathematics Co‑op student Brenda Le @ General Dynamics
- Grad Profile: Girl on fire
- Engineering a legacy
- Revitalizing an organization through work‑integrated learning
- Positive additions: Meet our summer Math & Stats co‑op students
- Manufacturing experience: bridging the gap between SMEs and co‑op students
- Local businesses benefit from Dalhousie University's top Industrial Engineering undergrads