International Students

International students may apply for the co-op program if they meet these criteria:

  1. Meet and maintain the academic admission criteria for their program (CGPA 2.5 Computer Science, CGPA 2.3 Engineering, CGPA 3.0 Science)
  2. Have a study permit that is valid until the end of the work term
  3. Have English language skills: in writing English to create effective resumes and cover letters, and in speaking to communicate effectively in job interviews
  4. Manage the extra workload of job searching and interviewing during a study term

Co-op Work Permit

International students in the Co-op Program must apply for a Co-op Work Permit through Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The Co-op Work Permit is required for international students to go on co-op work term. If you have not submitted your Co-op Work Permit application or obtained a valid Co-op Work Permit, you will not be able to participate in the co-op job search.

For guidance with your work permit application please visit Dalhousie's International Centre or Citizenship & Immigration Canada.

Other requirements

Advising for International Co-op Students

For advising on co-op issues including resumes, cover letters, interviews, workplace culture, etc., schedule an appointment with Caroline Lodge using myCareer or email.

For advising on Co-op Work Permit information and general issues, contact the International Centre to schedule an appointment with a Student Advisor.

International Centre

The International Centre offers support and resources for international students, including:

  • Housing, apartment and sublet exchange information
  • Information sessions on work permits, exchange programs and more
  • Socio-cultural competency workshops on communicating with employers and tactics for workplace success

View International Centre locations and contact information