Professor, Carnegie Chair in Geology
Phone: +1 902 494 2208
Fax: +1` 902 494 6889
1459 Oxford Street
PO BOX 15000
Halifax NS B3H 4R2
Life Sciences Centre
3rd floor, Bio / E S Wing
- Structural Geology
By taking a holistic approach to Earth Sciences my research program addresses how the tectonic and surface processes in active collision orogens interact to shape the physical evolution of the lithosphere at all spatial and temporal scales. The general premises of my research program are investigated through a combination of field, laboratory, and numerical experimental studies. Key questions of my current research program:
- Which processes drive syn-convergence exhumation of crustal eclogites?
- What are the interactions between the upper crustal deformation and mid crustal channel flow?
- How are the stresses transferred between the seismogenic and the ductily flowing crust?
- How do stresses propagate on the plate scale, from an incipient plate breakup area to a convergent boundary zone?
- Are there elements in the morphology of critical Coulomb wedges that can be related to spatio-temporal changes in precipitation rather than to the far- and near-field stresses?
Case studies are performed on several world-class field examples in the Himalaya-Tibet orogenic system and the central European Alps.
Projects for prospective PhD students are offered in generic subjects covering these research topics
For enrolment, please have a careful look at the regulations for Graduate Studies at Dalhousie University:
and at the Department of Earth Sciences
Interested candidates should secure their own scholarships for which they can apply at the following foundations:
NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
Killam pre-doctoral scholarship
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
For details, eligibility and application procedure see details at the related web sites.
Please check also for the potential bilateral academic programs in your own country.
- B.Sc., University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia (1983)
- Ph.D., ETH Zurich, Switzerland (1992)
- Structural Geology ERTH 3140.03
- Tectonics ERTH 4350
- Research Projects / Honours Thesis ERTH 4100/4200