Phone: (902) 494-2474
Fax: (902) 494-2474
6274 Coburg Road
P.O. Box 15000
Halifax, NS, B3H 4R2
Research Topics: Analytical chemistry, Nuclear chemistry, Materials chemistry, Bioanalytical chemistry, Trace elements, Toxic elements, Bioaccessibilty, Speciation, Neutron activation, Research reactors, Radioactive waste management, Reactor decommissioning, Synchrotrons, Nanoparticles, etc.
Selected Awards and Honours
- Hevesy Medal Award in 2001 by the Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry and the International Committee on Activation Analysis.
- Ioannes Marcus Marci Medal in 2006 by the Ioannes Marcus Marci Spectroscopic Society formerly the Czechoslovak Spectroscopic Society of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic.
- William D. Ehmann Award in 1999 by the American Nuclear Society.
- Radiation Science and Technology Award in 1996 by the American Nuclear Society.
- Faculty of Science Killam Professor in Chemistry (2001–06) by Dalhousie University.
- Fellow of the American Nuclear Society in 1993.
- Fellow of the Chemical Institute of Canada in 1985.
- D.M. Chevrier, R. Yang, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “Bonding properties of thiolate-protected gold nanoclusters and structural analogs from X-ray absorption spectroscopy”, Nanotechnol Rev 4(2015)193-206.
- D.M. Chevrier, C. Zeng, R. Jin, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “The role of Au4 units on the electronic and bonding properties of Au28(SR)20 nanoclusters from X-ray spectroscopy”, J Phys Chem C 119(2015) 1217−1223.
- K. Isaac-Olive, A. Chatt, “Expanded uncertainties of preconcentration neutron activation measurements of extractable organo-chlorine, bromine and iodine compounds in bovine milk lipids”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 302(2014)1213-1224.
- W. Zhang, A. Chatt, “Anticoincidence counting further improves detection limits of short-lived products by pseudo-cyclic instrumental neutron activation analysis”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 302(2014)1201-1211.
- D.M. Chevrier, X. Meng, Q. Tang, De-en Jiang, M. Zhu, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “Impact of the selenolate ligand on the bonding behavior of Au25 nanoclusters”, J Phys Chem C 118(2014)21730-21737.
- W. Zhang, A. Chatt, “Evaluation of INAA-anticoincidence counting for measuring nanogram levels of vanadium in relatively high-salt nutritional reference materials”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 299(2014)1777-1785.
- Y. Shi, A. Chatt, “Simultaneous determination of inorganic As(III), As(V), Sb(III), Sb(V), and Se(IV) species in natural waters by APDC/MIBK-NAA”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 299(2014)867-877.
- A.M. Lefsay, R.D. Guy, A. Chatt, R.L. White, “Synthesis and tandem mass spectrometry of chlorinated triacylglycerols”, Chem Phys Lipids, 174(2013)55-63.
- S.L. Christensen, J.D. Padmos, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “Preparation and orthopedic applications of nanoparticle-modified biocompatible surfaces”, Rev. Nanosci Nanotechnol, 2(2013)63-78.
- D.M. Chevrier, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, C. Zeng, R. Jin, “Unique Bonding Properties of the Au36(SR)24 Nanocluster with FCC-Like Core”, J Phys Chem Lett, 4(2013)3186-3191.
- S.L. Christensen, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “Peptide-directed preparation and X-ray structural study of Au nanoparticles on titanium surfaces”, Langmuir, 29(2013)4894-4900.
- S. Hevia, S. Resnizky, A. Chatt, “Selenium content of Argentinean infant formulae and baby food by pseudo-cyclic instrumental neutron activation analysis coupled to Compton Suppression”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 297(2013)383–391.
- M. Fukushima, A. Chatt, “Rapid determination of silver in cultivated Japanese and Korean oysters and Japanese rock oysters using the 24.6-s neutron activation product 110Ag and estimation of its average daily intake”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 296(2013)563-571.
- W. Zhang, A. Chatt, “Epithermal instrumental neutron activation analysis in conjunction with anti-coincidence gamma-ray spectrometry for investigating iodine levels in Canadian foods”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 296(2013)495-501.
- W.E. Goodwin, R.R. Rao, A. Chatt, “Reversed-phase extraction chromatography-neutron activation analysis (RPEC-NAA) of copper in natural waters using Amberlite XAD-4 resin coated with 1-(2-thiazolylazo)-2-naphthol”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 296(2013)489-494.
- D.M. Chevrier, M.A. MacDonald, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, Z. Wu, R. Jin “Sensitivity of structural and electronic properties of gold-thiolate nanoclusters to the atomic composition: a comparative X-ray study of Au19(SR)13 and Au25(SR)18”, J Phys Chem C, 116(2012)25137-25142.
- R. Acharya, J. Holzbecher, A. Chatt, “Determination of k0-factors of short-lived nuclides and application of k0-NAA to selected trace elements”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, 680(2012)1-5.
- S.L. Christensen, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “Biomolecule-Coated Metal Nanoparticles on Titanium”, Langmuir, 28(2012)2979-85.
- S.L. Christensen, M.A. MacDonald, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, H. Qian, R. Jin “Dopant location, local structure and electronic properties of Au24Pt(SR)18 Nanoclusters”, J Phys Chem C, 116 (2012)26932-26937.
- K. Isaac-Olive, A. Chatt, “Studies of total, organic and inorganic iodine in Canadian bovine milk samples with varying milk fat content using ion-exchange chromatography and neutron activation analysis”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 294(2012)479-486.
- M. Fukushima, A. Chatt, “Estimation of total as well as bioaccessible levels and average daily dietary intake of iodine from Japanese edible seaweeds by epithermal neutron activation analysis”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 294(2012)471-478.
- A. Pérez-Gramatges, A. Chatt, “Preconcentration of copper by cloud point extraction with 1-(2-pyridylazo)-2-naphthol and determination by neutron activation”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 294(2012)163-170.
- D.M. Chevrier, A. Chatt, P. Zhang, “Properties and applications of protein stabilized fluorescent gold nanoclusters: short review”, J Nanophoton, 6(2012)064504-1-16.
- R. Zwicker, B.M. Zwicker, S. Laoharojanaphand, A. Chatt, “Determination of As(III) and As(V) in freshwater biological samples from Thailand by solvent extraction and neutron activation”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 287(2011)211-216.
- R. Acharya. A. Chatt, “Determination of iodine in biological materials by pseudo-cyclic epithermal INAA using anti-coincidence gamma-ray spectrometry and estimation of expanded uncertainties”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 282(2009)991-996.
- W. Zhang, A. Chatt, “Determination of selenium in foods by pseudo-cyclic neutron activation and anti-coincidence gamma-ray spectrometry”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 282(2009)139-143.
- W. Menendez Sanchez, B. Zwicker, A. Chatt, “Determination of As(III), As(V), MMA and DMA in drinking water by solid phase extraction and neutron activation”, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, 282(2009)133-138.
- K. Isaac-Olive, R. Acharya, A. Chatt, “Fractionation analysis of iodine in bovine milk by preconcentration neutron activation analysis”, Talanta, 77(2008)827-832.
- B.J.B Nyarko, E.H.K. Akaho, J.J. Fletcher, A. Chatt, “Activation analysis for Dy, Hf, Rb, Sc and Se in some Ghanaian cereals and vegetable using short-lived nuclides and Compton suppression counting”, J Appl Radioisotopes 66(2008)1067-1072.