6100 University Ave, Room 5026
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Biodiversity conservation
- Freshwater and marine systems
- Health and environmental justice
- Industrial sustainability
- Urban and regional issues
- BSc, University of Portsmouth, UK
- MPhil, University of Essex, UK
- PhD, University of Nottingham, UK
- PDF, Dalhousie University
Dr. Walker currently focuses his research efforts on management and remediation of contaminated sites, ecological impacts and mitigation of industrial pollution, ecological risk assessment and environmental effects monitoring, management of aquaculture impacts, management of Arctic and Antarctic natural resources, air pollution impacts on ecosystems. Most of his recent research has been in partnership with industry related to environmental management and monitoring across Canada.
- Zhang, H., Walker, T.R., Davis, E., Ma, G. (2019) Spatiotemporal characterization of metals in small craft harbour sediments in Nova Scotia, Canada. Marine Pollution Bulletin. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.02.004.
- Walker, T.R. (2018) China's ban on imported plastic waste could be a game changer (online). China’s ban could curb plastic waste (print). Nature. 553(7689): 405-405. DOI: 10.1038/d41586-018-00933-6.
- Karbalaei, S., Hanachi, P., Walker, T.R., Cole, M. (2018) Occurrence, sources, human health impacts and mitigation of microplastic pollution. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 25(36): 36046–36063.
- Davis, E., Walker, T.R., Adams, M., Willis, R. (2018) Characterization of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in small craft harbour (SCH) sediments in Nova Scotia, Canada. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 137: 285-294.
- Schnurr, R.E.J., Alboiu, V., Chaudhary, M., Corbett, R.A., Quanz, M.E., Sankar, K., Srain, H.S., Thavarajah, V., Xanthos, D., Walker, T.R. (2018) Reducing marine pollution from single-use plastics (SUPs): A review. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 137: 157-171.
- Liu, Z., Adams, M., Walker, T.R. (2018) Are exports of recyclables from developed to developing countries waste pollution transfer or part of the global circular economy? Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 136: 22-23.
- Walker, T.R., Xanthos, D. (2018) A call for Canada to move toward zero plastic waste by reducing and recycling single-use plastics. Resources, Conservation & Recycling. 133: 99-100.
- Del Aguila Feijoo, M., Walker, T.R. (2018) Correspondence to the Editor Re: Artisanal and small-scale gold mining impacts in Madre de Dios, Peru: Management and mitigation strategies. Environment International. 111: 133-134.
- Walker,rT.R. (2018) Drowning in debris: Solutions for a global pervasive marine pollution problem. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 126 (1): 338.
- Dorey, K., Walker, T.R. (2018) Limitations of threatened species lists in Canada: A federal and provincial perspective. Biological Conservation. 217: 259-268.
- Taylor, S., Walker T.R. (2017) North Atlantic right whales in danger. Science, 358 (6364): 730-731. DOI: 10.1126/science.aar2402.
Selected awards and honours
- NSERC Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, CASES, 2003-2006
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Antarctic Special Topic Award, UK, 1990-1993
Service & Activity
- Registered Environmental Professional (ECO-Canada), 2014 -
- Review editor for Frontiers in Marine Science for the topics Marine Pollution and Marine Biogeochemistry (2014-present)
- Editorial board Ecological Indicators and Polish Polar Research (2005-present)
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for 19 Scientific Journals including: Journal of Environmental Management, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Environmental Science and Technology, Science of the Total Environment, Environmental Pollution and Ecological Indicators
- Reviewer for the New Eurasia Foundation (2011 - present) and the National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation, Ministry of Education and Science, Republic of Kazakhstan (2011- present)
- ENVI 5505: Biophysical Dimensions of Resource and Environmental Management;
- ENVI 5035: Research Design and Methods;
- MGMT 2702: Introduction to Resource and Environmental Management II;
- ENVI 5501 - MREM Internship
- ENVI 5508 - Project Report in Resource and Environmental Management
- Special topics course (TBD - Pollution Abatement: Monitoring, Mitigation and Management)