6100 University Ave, Room 5026
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Biodiversity conservation
- Freshwater and marine systems
- Health and environmental justice
- Industrial sustainability
- Urban and regional issues
- BSc, University of Portsmouth, UK
- MPhil, University of Essex, UK
- PhD, University of Nottingham, UK
- PDF, Dalhousie University
Dr. Walker currently focuses his research efforts on management and remediation of contaminated sites, ecological impacts and mitigation of industrial pollution, ecological risk assessment and environmental effects monitoring, management of aquaculture impacts, management of Arctic and Antarctic natural resources, air pollution impacts on ecosystems. Most of his recent research has been in partnership with industry related to environmental management and monitoring across Canada.
- Hoffman, E., Guernsey, J.R., Walker, T.R., Kim, J.S., Sherren, K., Andreou, P. (2017). Pilot study investigating ambient air toxics emissions near a Canadian kraft pulp and paper facility in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. doi: 10.1007/s11356-017-9719-5.
- Parisé, J., Walker, T.R. (2017). Industrial wind turbine post-construction bird and bat monitoring: A policy framework for Canada. Journal of Environmental Management. 201: 252–259.
- Lyons, J., Boxall, J., Robertson, C., Lake, C., Walker, T.R. (2017). Spatiotemporal assessment (quarter century) of pulp mill metal(loid) contaminated sediment to inform remediation decisions. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 189: 257.
- Xanthos, D., Walker, T.R. (2017). International policies to reduce plastic marine pollution from single-use plastics (plastic bags and microbeads): A review. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 118 (1-2): 17-26.
- Roach, B., Walker, T.R. (2017). Aquatic monitoring programs conducted during environmental impact assessments in Canada: preliminary assessment before and after weakened environmental regulation. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 189(3): 109.
- Hudson, L.N., Newbold, T., Contu, S., Hill, S. L. L., Lysenko, I., […] Walker, T.R., […] Purvis, A. (2017). The database of the PREDICTS (Projecting Responses of Ecological Diversity In Changing Terrestrial Systems) project. Ecology and Evolution. 7(1): 145-188.
- Gulas, S., Downton, M., D'Souza, K., Hayden, K., Walker, T.R. (2017). Declining Arctic Ocean oil and gas developments: Opportunities to improve governance and environmental pollution control. Marine Policy. 75: 53-61.
Selected awards and honours
- NSERC Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, CASES, 2003-2006
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Antarctic Special Topic Award, UK, 1990-1993
Service & Activity
- Registered Environmental Professional (ECO-Canada), 2014 -
- Review editor for Frontiers in Marine Science for the topics Marine Pollution and Marine Biogeochemistry (2014-present)
- Editorial board Ecological Indicators and Polish Polar Research (2005-present)
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for 19 Scientific Journals including: Journal of Environmental Management, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Environmental Science and Technology, Science of the Total Environment, Environmental Pollution and Ecological Indicators
- Reviewer for the New Eurasia Foundation (2011 - present) and the National Center of Science and Technology Evaluation, Ministry of Education and Science, Republic of Kazakhstan (2011- present)
- ENVI 5505: Biophysical Dimensions of Resource and Environmental Management;
- ENVI 5035: Research Design and Methods;
- MGMT 2702: Introduction to Resource and Environmental Management II;
- ENVI 5501 - MREM Internship
- ENVI 5508 - Project Report in Resource and Environmental Management
- Special topics course (TBD - Pollution Abatement: Monitoring, Mitigation and Management)