Peter H. Tyedmers
6100 University Ave, Suite 5010,
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Industrial sustainability
- Life cycle assessment
- Ecological economics
- Carbon footprint
- Ecosystem services
- BSc, University of Waterloo
- LLB, University of British Columbia
- PhD, University of British Columbia
Professor Tyedmers’ research interests include better understanding and improving the sustainability of food systems, the sustainability implications of lifestyle choices and the impact of technological substitutions. He is particularly motivated to critically examine choices that we make in the name of sustainability to help ensure that we are indeed moving in a positive direction.
- Cashion, T., P. Tyedmers & R. Parker (accepted March 2017) Global reduction fisheries and their products in the context of sustainable limits. Fish and Fisheries.
- Mumby, P., J. Sanchirico, K. Broad, M. Beck, P. Tyedmers, T. Okey, L. Crowder, E. Fulton, D. Kelso, J. Kleypas, M. Morikawa, S. Munch, P. Glynn, K. Matthews & J. Lubchenco (2017) Avoiding a crisis of motivation for ocean management under global environmental change. Global Change Biology. 23:4483-4496.
- Schut, L., P. Tyedmers, G.C. Cutler, and A Melathopoulos (2017) Is early pollination in lowbush blueberry an ecosystem service or disservice? Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 239C: 368-375.
- Cashion, T., S. Hornborg, F. Ziegler, E. S. Hognes & P. Tyedmers (2016) Review and advancement of the marine biotic resource use metric in LCAs: a case study of Norwegian salmon feed. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. 21(8): 1106-1120.
- Parker, R.W.R. & P. Tyedmers (2015) Fuel consumption of global fishing fleets: Current understanding and knowledge gaps. Fish and Fisheries. 16(4): 684–696.
- Driscoll, J., C. Boyd & P. Tyedmers (2015) Life Cycle Assessment of the Maine and southwest Nova Scotia lobster industries. Fisheries Research. 172: 385-400.
- Keyes, S., P. Tyedmers and K. Beazley (2015) Evaluating the environmental impacts of conventional and organic apple production in Nova Scotia, Canada, through life cycle assessment. Journal of Cleaner Production. 104:40-51.
Selected awards and honours
- 2008 Teaching Excellence Award, Faculty of Management, Dalhousie University
- SUST 3000 Global Environmental Decision-Making (with Kate Sherren)
- ENVI 5031/MGMT 4031 Economics for Resource and Environmental Management
- ENVI 5205/MGMT 4205 Law and Policy for Resource and Environmental Management