Professor and Acting Director
6100 University Ave, Suite 5024,
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Public engagement
- Environmental assessment
- Resource management
- Climate change
- Urban forests
- BScAgr, University of Guelph
- MES, Dalhousie University
- PhD, University of New Brunswick
- PDF, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
Dr. Duinker currently focuses his research efforts on urban forests. He studies both the biophysical and socio-political dimensions of sustainable urban-forest management and policy. Other major interests include environmental assessment and climate change. Most of his research is conducted on ecosystems in Canada and Europe.
- Publicover, J.L., T.S.A. Wright, S. Baur, and P.N. Duinker. 2017. Music as a tool for environmental education and advocacy: artistic perspectives from musicians of the Playlist for the Planet. Environmental Education Research: accepted. dx.doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2017.1365356
- Nitoslawski, S., J.W.N. Steenberg, P.N. Duinker, and P.G. Bush. 2017. Assessing the influence of environmental attributes on urban forest species composition in suburban neighbourhoods. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening: accepted. doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2017.08.002
- Ordóñez, C., T. Beckley, P.N. Duinker, and A.J. Sinclair. 2017. Public values associated with urban forests: synthesis of findings and lessons learned from emerging methods and cross-cultural case studies. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 25:74-84. doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2017.05.002
- Sinclair, A.J., M. Doelle, and P.N. Duinker. 2017. Looking up, down, and sideways: reconceiving cumulative effects assessment as a mindset. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 62:183-194. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2016.04.007
- Duinker, P.N. 2017. Silviculture vs. Arboriculture: The Same or Different? Atlantic Forestry Review 23(6):32-33.
- Duinker, P. 2017. Trees in the city: why trees in cities are phenomenal investments in urban infrastructure. Municipal World 127(1):3-5.
- Duinker, P.N., S. Lehvävirta, A. Busse Nielsen, and S. Toni. 2017. Urban Woodlands and Their Management. Chapter 34 in “Routledge Handbook of Urban Forestry”, edited by F. Ferrini, C. Konijnendijk van den Bosch, and A. Fini (pp. 515-528). Routledge (Taylor and Francis Group), New York, NY.
Selected awards and honours
- International Association for Impact Assessment 2015 Individual Award
- Award for Planning Excellence Merit Award from the Canadian Institute of Planners for the HRM Urban Forest Master Plan (2014)
Service & Activity
- Associate Editor, Urban Forestry and Urban Greening
- Member, Nova Scotia Forest Biodiversity Science Advisory Committee