Professor Emeritus (Retired)
6100 University Ave, Suite 5024,
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Public engagement
- Environmental assessment
- Resource management
- Climate change
- Urban forests
- PLEASE NOTE: DR. DUINKER IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS TO SUPERVISE
- BScAgr, University of Guelph
- MES, Dalhousie University
- PhD, University of New Brunswick
- PDF, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
Dr. Duinker currently focuses his research efforts on urban forests. He studies both the biophysical and socio-political dimensions of sustainable urban-forest management and policy. Other major interests include environmental assessment and climate change. Most of his research is conducted on ecosystems in Canada and Europe.
- Sorensen, J.K., P.N. Duinker, M. Zurba, and M. Smit. 2021. Testing a novel human-nature connection model with Halifax’s urban forest using a text-messaging engagement strategy. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 65:127350. doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2021.127350
- Aryal, B, J.W.N. Steenberg, and P.N. Duinker. 2021. The effects of residential street tree spacing and crown interactions on crown dimensions and canopy cover. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry 47(5):183-195. doi.org/1048044/jauf.2021.017
- Thompson, K., P.N. Duinker, and K. Sherren. 2021. Ecosystem services: A new framework for old ideas, or advancing environmental decision-making? Learning from Canadian forerunners to the ES concept. Canadian Geographer 65(3):306-320. doi: 10.1111/cag.12670
- Keys, K., D.L. Burton, G.W. Price, and P.N. Duinker. 2021. Ion availabilities in two forest soils amended with alkaline-treated biosolids, agricultural lime, and wood fly ash over a 10-week period. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 51:41-48. doi: 10.1139/cjfr-2020-0114
- Dietz, S., S. Arnold, and 44 contributing authors (including P.N. Duinker). 2021. Atlantic Provinces. Regional Perspectives Report Chapter 01 in: Canada in a Changing Climate: Regional Perspectives Report (F.J. Warren, N. Lulham, and D.S. Lemmen, editors). Government of Canada, Ottawa, ON.
- Duinker, P.N. and L.A. Greig. 2021. Scenario planning in cumulative effects assessment. Chapter 06 in Handbook of Cumulative Impact Assessment (J.A.E. Blakley and D.M. Franks, editors), pp. 92-105. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, UK.
- Ordóñez, C., J.W.N. Steenberg, and P.N. Duinker. 2021. Vulnerability of urban nature to climate change: an overview of impacts and assessment approaches, with examples from urban forests. Chapter 16 of “Routledge Handbook of Urban Ecology”, Second Edition. Editors: Ian Douglas, Pippin Anderson, David Goode, Mike Houck, David Maddox, Harini Nagendra, and Tan Puay Yok. Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon.
- Doll, S.M. and P.N. Duinker. 2020. Characterization and justification of trees on an inner-city golf course in Halifax, Canada: an investigation into the ecological integrity of institutional greenspace. Forests 11(1): 96. doi:10.3390/f11010096
- Quinton, J., J. Ostberg, and P.N. Duinker. 2020. The importance of multi-scale temporal and spatial management for cemetery trees in Malmö, Sweden. Forests 11: 78. doi:10.3390f11010078
- van der Marel, R.C., P.C. Holroyd, and P.N. Duinker. 2020. Managing motorized route-user networks in Alberta’s Eastern Slopes: Applying density limits to the Livingstone-Porcupine Hills public lands. Global Ecology and Conservation 22:e00901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2019.e00901
- Quinton, J, P.N. Duinker, J.W.N. Steenberg, and J. Charles. 2020. The living among the dead: cemeteries as urban forests, now and in the future. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening: 48. doi.org
- Quinton, J., J. Ostberg, and P.N. Duinker. 2020. The influence of cemetery governance on tree management in urban cemeteries: A case study of Halifax, Canada and Malmö, Sweden. Landscape and Urban Planning 194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2019.103699
Selected awards and honours
- International Association for Impact Assessment 2015 Individual Award
- Royal Galipeau Award of Distinction, Tree Canada (2020)
Service & Activity
- Member, Nova Scotia Forest Biodiversity Science Advisory Committee