6100 University Ave, Suite 5024,
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Public engagement
- Environmental assessment
- Resource management
- Climate change
- Urban forests
- BScAgr, University of Guelph
- MES, Dalhousie University
- PhD, University of New Brunswick
- PDF, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
Dr. Duinker currently focuses his research efforts on urban forests. He studies both the biophysical and socio-political dimensions of sustainable urban-forest management and policy. Other major interests include environmental assessment and climate change. Most of his research is conducted on ecosystems in Canada and Europe.
- Mackinnon, A.J., P.N. Duinker, and T.R. Walker. 2018. The Application of Science in Environmental Impact Assessment. Routledge Focus on Environment and Sustainability, Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK. 141 pp.
- Steenberg, J.W.N., P.N. Duinker, I.F. Creed, J.N. Serran, and C. Ouillet Dallaire. 2018. Alternative scenarios for the future of Canada’s boreal region. Environmental Reviews: accepted. doi.org/10.1139/er-2018-0062
- Yeung, A.C.Y., A. Paltsev, A. Daigle, P.N. Duinker, and I.F. Creed. 2018. Atmospheric change as a driver of change in the Canadian boreal zone. Environmental Reviews: accepted.
- Creed, I.F., P.N. Duinker, J.W.N. Steenberg, and J.N. Serran. 2018. Managing risks to Canada’s boreal zone: transdisciplinary thinking in pursuit of energy security. Environmental Reviews: accepted (er-2018-0070.R1).
- Ma, J., P.N. Duinker, and T.R. Walker. 2018. Scholar and practitioner views on science in environmental assessment. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 36(6): published online 2018-09-21. (doi: 10.1080/14615517.2018.1519978)
- Keys, K., D. Burton, G. Price, and P.N. Duinker. 2018. Forest floor chemistry and mineral soil ion exposure after surface application of alkaline-treated biosolids under two white spruce (Picea glauca) plantations in Nova Scotia, Canada. Forest Ecology and Management 417:208-221. doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2018.02.040
- Steenberg, J.W.N., P. Robinson, and P.N. Duinker. 2018. Counter-intuitive relationships between housing renovation, socioeconomic status, and urban forest ecosystems. Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science: published online 2018_01_12. doi/pdf/10.1177/2399808317752927.
- Publicover, J.L., T.S.A. Wright, S. Baur, and P.N. Duinker. 2018. Engaging with environmental issues as a musician: career perspectives from the musicians of the Playlist for the Planet. Popular Music and Society: published online 2018_02_02. dx.doi.org/10.1080/03007766.2018.1426367.
- Bond, A., F. Retief, B. Cave, A.L. Brown, M. Fundingsland, P.N. Duinker, and R. Verheem. 2018. A contribution to the conceptualisation of quality in impact assessment. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 68:49-58. DOI: 10.1016/j.eiar.2017.10.006
- Jones, J.A., Wei, X., van Noordwijk, M., Creed, I.F., Gush, M., Ellison, D., Blanco, J.A., Bishop, K., McNulty, S.G., Archer, E., Bargués Tobella, A., Bruijnzeel, L.A., Duinker, P.N., Foster, D., Gebrekirstos, A., Giles-Hansen, K., Hacket-Pain, A., Harper, R.J., Ilstedt, U., Li, Q., Liao, Y., Malmer, A., Mwangi, H., Orland, C., Steenberg, J.W.N., Wang, Y., Worthy, F., Xu, J., & Zhang, M. (2018). Forest landscape hydrology in a ‘new normal’ era of climate and land use change. In I. F. Creed & M. van Noordwijk (eds.), Forests and Water on a Changing Planet: Vulnerability, Adaptation, and Governance Opportunities. A Global Assessment Report (pp. 81-99). International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO),Vienna, Austria.
- Duinker, P. and J. Charles. 2018. Growing together in Halifax, Canada: A productive partnership helped create a strong master plan for forests in this Nova Scotian city. In “Forests and Sustainable Cities: Inspiring Stories from around the World”, pp. 29-34. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, IT.
Selected awards and honours
- International Association for Impact Assessment 2015 Individual Award
- Award for Planning Excellence Merit Award from the Canadian Institute of Planners for the HRM Urban Forest Master Plan (2014)
Service & Activity
- Associate Editor, Urban Forestry and Urban Greening
- Member, Nova Scotia Forest Biodiversity Science Advisory Committee